Grunblau Platform CNC

Re: Grunblau Platform CNC

Unread post #221 by joey81 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Yahu!
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #222 by timber715 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:03 pm

joey81 wrote:Yahu!

Have you tried cutting aluminum na brader? I might remake my z-carriage plate from steel to aluminum.

I mounted the gantry to see how it fits...
also added the linear rails to the Z-axis plate with its modifications.
The Z-carraige plate needs mounting holes but like I said, I night transition to aluminum.
So far... so far :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #223 by timber715 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 am

well I did transition the z-carriage but not to aluminum... went for 3/16" stainless steel :wtf:
Had the cad drawing of the part printed 1:1 and glued it to the stainless steel plate.
I should have stayed with aluminum or steel, stainless is a bitch to manipulate. :wtf:
but when done it should hold better ( at least that is what I tell myself). I only had a couple of hours today since I had other things to attend to, so here is where I am at.
still need to cut four inner profiles the grind the outer profile smooth afterwhich I will have it bent on four sides...
Still a lot to do but it is getting done.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #224 by timber715 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 pm

I was able to finish the Z carriage
but since no shop would do the bending, I was left to manually bend it. I hasd to grind away the bend line then get another person to help me bend it. Needless to say I did a decent job but this does not require a decent job. It required perfection, the holes need to line up perfect and the manual bending created a very slight bow in the center. This only meant that it would be scrap! :thumbdown:
I have contacted a machine shop with laser cutting capabilities and more importantly a cnc bending capability, I hope this does not cost an arm or a leg since I have little option but to pay let alone that I need this asap.
Now I do have time to do other things which I wanted for the cnc. One of which is to place the X-axis stepper motor to the other side (near the wall) to get better wiring and to keep it out of the way.
I also added drop-nuts at the back of the divider plate to reinforce the threaded area.
I just used steel epoxy to attach these.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #225 by timber715 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:29 am

I still do not have the z carriage, hopefully I get it tomorrow.
But there is always a good side to things that we do not always see immediately. The time I alloted for the cnc carriage was devoted to trimming and tidying up the machine. I was able to transfer the x-axis stepper motor to the right and was able to properly configure it too. These are the benefits of building your CNC.
I was also able to transfer the cable carrier to a better spot as well as arrange the wires better (moving the stepper to the right gave the wires a shorter run).
I then ran it for a while just to see how it moves and how smooth too.
I had too much hardware that having a movable table came in handy...
I hope the last part arrives tomorrow, I still would need to paint it though as it would come bare metal only... Oh well, what is one more day anyway..
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #226 by timber715 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:49 am

I FINALLY recieved the z carriage I had laser cut and cnc bent... got it around 9pm... haaay.
I found about an hour to have it primed and painted though
tomorrow I look forward to having my machine running once more. I just hope I do not encounter any issues like lack of screws...
here is the new and the old...
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #227 by timber715 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:42 pm

I finished the initial assemble and did a test run...

Initial impressions after the upgrade:
1. rigidity increased by two fold
2. less shaking on the table = smoother
3. looks leaner and meaner
4. nakakapagod pero sulit :wtf:
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #228 by timber715 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:58 pm

light work on the cnc as I added dust control for the linear rails, wouldn't want them to clog with dust.
Oh, and I have replaced 99% of the screws to stainless too....
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #229 by litol » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 pm

nice one sir sonny! di mo natiis ang linear rails ah. :)
Random avatar
litol
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #230 by timber715 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:21 pm

Wanted the linear rails since last year but I hesitated since there was so much to redesign. Since the designer of the machine announced an upgrade would be offered, I jumped the gun. He offered for owners of the machine (about 90++ worldwide) for an upgrade using hiwin linear rails and the parts can be cut by the owners or buy the kit from him. I made mine.
For me the upgrade made the machine so much better in lots of ways. Yesterday I cut some acrylic for bearing covers and was surprised how accurate it has become. A piece I cut to 1.5"x3" came out 1.499"x3" :wtf: before for the same dimensions I would get 1.48x2.985... minimal but still not as accurate as it is now.
The only drawback is that the upgrade kit cost me 70% of what Joey81 spent on his machine. But it is all worth it for me.
timber715
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to CNC, 3D printing, Laser cutting ...etc.