estib's works

estib's works

Unread post #1 by estib » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi, just want to share the foldable saw horses I made. The design is a copy shopdog sawhorses. I made it out of from reclaimed lumber, that's why so many nail holes. The splayed legs really made a complicated build, too many angles :crazy:

Random avatar
estib
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: estib's works

Unread post #2 by JojoD818 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Good job! I'm gonna need a couple of these too very soon.

I love reclaimed wood, it gives a new life and purpose to otherwise useless pieces. :thumbup:
JojoD818

Unread post #3 by gattaca » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 pm

You never know what specie you're gonna get with reclained wood. I've had unusual boards come into my shop that's only revealed after a pass with the planer. Beautiful. Dungon, apitong, dao, etc. etc. maybe only a forestry graduate can say what it is...

...Of course, i've nicked my planer blades with hidden nails even after scouting for them >_<.

=========

Spacious workspace you got there estib, and it's commendable that you went for some complications on your build. Magandang sawhorse yan!
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #4 by Bernard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 am

Nice one estib.
hmmm. How about a sawhorse thread? Let's give love to his underestimated but very necessary shop equipt. :lolno:
Do not lean on the assumption that buying the best short circuits the learning curve --- P. Sellers (a paraphrase)
Random avatar
Bernard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #5 by Violaine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am

yeah i was actually going to propose a saw horse thread coz im itching to build a pair for myself except that there is no time at the moment.

cheers on the heads up!
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #6 by Violaine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:01 am

@estib,
nice project for the shop btw!
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #7 by Bernard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 am

DocV, I actually made one before I built my workbench. It was very useful in planing the huge laminated table top. The removable stretcher allowed me to place plywood on top. Also doubles as additional workbench. Will try to take some pics over the weekend.
Do not lean on the assumption that buying the best short circuits the learning curve --- P. Sellers (a paraphrase)
Random avatar
Bernard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #8 by bigfoot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Been planning to make this but never pushed thru. Nice one.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #9 by estib » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks guys. The sawhorses are still not finished though, still going to buy some strap to secure the legs. Using it right now without the straps or rope, so far no problems with legs spreading apart.

gattaca wrote:You never know what specie you're gonna get with reclained wood. I've had unusual boards come into my shop that's only revealed after a pass with the planer. Beautiful. Dungon, apitong, dao, etc. etc. maybe only a forestry graduate can say what it is...

...Of course, i've nicked my planer blades with hidden nails even after scouting for them >_<.

The wood was from storage racks from our old warehouse, so I'm guessing it's lauan. I did manage to find one with a nice grain, don't know what type of wood is it since my knowledge in wood types is very limited, it's the first wood I tried to plane, it's heavy and dark got me curious what underneath :think: This got me to buy a Groz plane and starting planing the other pieces. So far nothing out of the ordinary but the wood is far better than those sold in the hardwares now, too bad too many nail holes and the longer pieces are bowed and twisted, I think due to being subject to constant heavy load when it was used as storage racks.

Yeah, hidden nails are a problem. I did hit a nail when ripping one, good thing its just a small nail and no damage to the saw blade. I now use a very strong magnet to check for nails.
Random avatar
estib
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #10 by bigfoot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:05 pm

If you don't mind, can you post plans and dimensions?
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Members Shop