Gattaca's workshop

Re: Gattaca's workshop

Unread post #11 by bigfoot » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 am

balarila wrote:Do those BPs and Wagos come in three-wire installations, too? I always include a ground wire in all my rooms.

Local availability?

I got the Wago's from Amazon via j81, they are available in several configurations, makes house wiring a breeeze.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #12 by gattaca » Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 pm

At last! Am now a member of the bandsaw owner's club. New bearings, new v-belt, fresh oil on the transmission. And a 10/14 tpi lenox diemaster that can cut up to 3 1/2 high wood.
http://imgur.com/om9aSjM

It's embarassing how many years it was just 2 buckets of pile o'parts as i chase the perfect paint job (wrong road.) I haven't put the logos yet and some other quibbles but it loves eating through wood and i think it's fettled enough to cut tenons on. (Still need to make a fence.) But at last, it's mine, it works, and it's making sawdust. :thumbup:
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #13 by bugel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:21 am

Nice..pero mas naka agaw pansin sakin yung drill press sa back ground,may drill press din ako na nasa restoration mode hawig nang sayo..solid ang pyesa malayong malayo sa powercraft na gamit ko ngayun..

bugel

Unread post #14 by gattaca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:59 am

You have a cleaner shop than mine bro. I lack horizontal spaces and shelves whereas you'e made carts and pedestals. A place for everything, every thing in its place. I haven't even tackled fundamental shop issues like lighting, and electrical outlets, and a workbench.... so much to do.

"Primum non nocere" (first do no harm) is the rule in restoring machines. I've made a few newbie mistakes (especially on the pulleys and bearings) but i've managed to recover. Having the manual really helped. The bandsaw is the 2nd machine i restored, the first one is the spanish made DP.

Your DP looks finished- is it done? FWIW, i've found the spendier mitsuboshi belts to run smoother compared to other brands.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #15 by Bernard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:56 am

bigfoot wrote:
balarila wrote:Do those BPs and Wagos come in three-wire installations, too? I always include a ground wire in all my rooms.

Local availability?

I got the Wago's from Amazon via j81, they are available in several configurations, makes house wiring a breeeze.

Brilliant, Gattaca. Patience really pays off. Makes it all the more rewarding, aint it?
Do not lean on the assumption that buying the best short circuits the learning curve --- P. Sellers (a paraphrase)
Random avatar
Bernard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #16 by gattaca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:37 am

^Thanks; overall it took me about 50 hours to do it. 3 hours every weekday evenings for one month. It's the analysis paralysis/internet research that slowed me down. Bit by bit, I installed one assembly after the other (divide and conquer kumbaga) till there was nothing left to do but turn it on and make test cuts =). It felt rewarding as i slice through wood easily and i had more control compared to a jigsaw. (Jigsaw is the poor man's bandsaw they say.)

I'll still respect it by using push blocks, avoiding having my digits close to the blade. But the bandsaw is a rather benign/safe machine because there is no kickback. As i see it, it'll never be a traitor but will be a reliable workshop workhorse.

FWIW, here's a vid of a guy with the same machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVWrg0exhM

I think i'll need to be able to solder my own blades like bugel...
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #17 by bugel » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Di pa tapos sir..after applying epoxy primer assemble ko muna para di nag kalat ang parts..im in the process of making those missing parts na di ko na inabutan sa unit..mejo mahihirapan siguro ko sa belt cover..mine is japan made copy cat ng delta dp 220.
bugel

Unread post #18 by gattaca » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:47 pm

What I'm working on tonight after checking cab1net. Pmunta ako sa workshop kase na inspire ako na may WIP yung ibang mga members heh.

Base almost complete for a power-tool oriented workbench. Angle bar is 5/16" thick and 3" X 3", this is where i consumed a lot of of jigsaw blades. Bolted together with M8 size bolts.

Had a back ache routing at 31" high so let's try 38". Some of the woods will be stored in this base. Maybe a drawer for power tools underneath too but i haven't worked that out.

For the top, all i have here is some warped duhat boards and I haven't worked that out too. Board would rock on the top stretchers. Makes me wish i got a jointer :yawn:
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #19 by gattaca » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:50 pm

The duhat top has a twist of 3/8" over a 4 foot span but strangely, it disappeared when i tightened the 8mm bolts fixing it to the top stretchers. The four workbench feet however is no longer in the same plane and would rock a bit.

Maybe when I'm going to flatten the top I'll resort to the router sled/ski for faster results.

This side of the shop is now more orderly. Narra, kamagong, and laminated veneer lumber on the bottom.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #20 by Violaine » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:16 am

Since you are the prince of restoration, Ronnel being the grandfather and Bugel, the king, i have a chiwanese 6" jointer that is just laying around shop rusting. Its dirt cheap and would like to dispose of it very soon. There is a thousand bucks for every inch of its working capability. Hehehe
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

PreviousNext

Return to Members Shop