Re: Gattaca's workshop

Unread post #171 by JojoD818 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:23 pm

That Fluke looks a lot like mine. :thumbup:
JojoD818

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #172 by timber715 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:00 am

Nice Harry. Glad to know it works and now looks so much better.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #173 by gattaca » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:56 am

JojoD818 wrote:That Fluke looks a lot like mine. :thumbup:

That's great, got mine for waayy below retail price, pero naka box pa. Dami sa fb, choose carefully lang. Scored one and it's the last i'll ever need :angel:

Sayo daw nakareserve yung isang variac. Looking forward to your build Jojo.

...may mga tools ako na may ground sa case. Measured it, yung hitachi bench grinder nasa 60 VAC, pati DP ko (baldor motor.) Maybe the amperage is low... nevertheless linagyan ko ng grounding wire na konektado sa buong angle bar/metal wire border ng shop ko, na konektado rin sa metal pipe pababa sa concrete at lupa. ...Wala nang kiliti.

The double insulated PTs have no such problem...
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #174 by JojoD818 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 pm

gattaca wrote:
JojoD818 wrote:That Fluke looks a lot like mine. :thumbup:

That's great, got mine for waayy below retail price, pero naka box pa. Dami sa fb, choose carefully lang. Scored one and it's the last i'll ever need :angel:

Sayo daw nakareserve yung isang variac. Looking forward to your build Jojo.

...may mga tools ako na may ground sa case. Measured it, yung hitachi bench grinder nasa 60 VAC, pati DP ko (baldor motor.) Maybe the amperage is low... nevertheless linagyan ko ng grounding wire na konektado sa buong angle bar/metal wire border ng shop ko, na konektado rin sa metal pipe pababa sa concrete at lupa. ...Wala nang kiliti.

The double insulated PTs have no such problem...

Mine came straight from Fluke US and was a work perk, so technically I got it for free. Yeah they're tough and the most accurate I've ever used.

Dalawa yata naka reserve sa akin. Pati yun kay Timbs sa akin din ang punta para meron siya sa shop niya. It's essential when testing old tools but not that mandatory naman. Sabi nga nila... "it's better to have one and not need it. than need one and not have it."

Ahah! The kiliti is coming from the Y-Class capacitors of your tools/equipment. It's those blue ones across the Live-Ground and Neutral-Ground that forms a voltage divider between Live and Neutral (Pero sa atin wala naman Live and Neutral). Technically speaking you are measuring the "potential" between the divider and earth ground so best is to bring the ground lead to ground potential for all your tools whenever possible.

Ako din sawa na ako sa kiliti kaya meron ako binaon na ground rod, nagugutom pa naman ako pag nakukuryente ako hahaha!
JojoD818

Unread post #175 by gattaca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 pm

planemaking.... *sigh* love it and hate it at the same time. Love it because it extracts/demands all my capability, hate it because an errant push of a chisel/scraper and the precious tight mouth is gone. Those dai makers in japan with their fancy schmancy tsutsumi ledge are gods!!! I don't even... i won't even attempt that man.

Someone in fb mentioned that am the go-to guy when it comes to woodies. Not yet, amigo (tho am the go-to guy when it comes to vintage blades.) Thanks for the vote of confidence, and so i went out to the shop today and made a plane.

Decided to make a molave kanna for the senkichi blade and bin its old LVL(plywood)+langka sole dai.

After fitting the blade to the dai which took 3 hours, (which is about as fun as driving through traffic in edsa) prematurely tested it and.... it made sh*t non-continuous thick shavings. At this point, i thought that buying a veritas or LN is cheaper...

Had lunch at 4pm, went back to the shop and put the last piece of the puzzle, conditioned the soul of the plane which is the sole...Well after putting the recommended smile/wave pattern in the sole... here is where i am now:
https://youtu.be/oFGsifX2ALU
Last edited by gattaca on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #176 by joey81 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Is kaimito a good plane body?

Not that I'm going to make one. Just curious.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #177 by gattaca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm no expert joey but am thinking:

It would be ideal if the wood is
a. stable
b. hard wearing
c. "elastic"

You can't have it all...

mahogany is stable, a joy to work with, but not the hardest wearing wood there is isn't it? Narra is stable too, but on the soft side, however it is elastic. I can feel it when i hammer in the kanna blade into the body- hugs the blade real tight. Adjustment is pretty linear. At youtube i saw a japanese made dai made of padauk which is close to narra.

Am aware that ebony and molave (mulawin, tugas, sagat in other dialects) are the go to plane wood locally. Very hard wearing, brittle though and isn't that elastic. Purpleheart, Ipe, at rock maple pambato ng ibang bansa pagdating sa hard wearing...

Haven't had the good fortune to work with caimito Joey...

Siguro horses for courses din... for smoother applications, narra. Jack= yakal, or molave for me.

my dos centavos...
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #178 by fortnapz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 pm

I think this is also useful in cutting the mouth of your plane Image
Invented for Life Out Perform. Out Last Work. Don't play. Tools That Make a Difference Faster, Easier, Smarter Guaranteed Tought Power Tools for the LONG RUN
i & swmbo luv my ex!
fortnapz
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #179 by gattaca » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm

I've had enough of the twin screw vise. No quick release, not smooth, overall didn't work so well to be honest. So out it goes. Image

Transplanted the generic showa vise into my main bench Image

Works sooo much better and faster. A very recommended purchase.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #180 by gattaca » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:56 am

Sh*t. Close call. I thought i was smelling something burning in the shop, kala ko baka nagsi- siga ng dahon lang kapitbahay. When i realized there was a wee bit of smoke coming from the bandsaw. Full of dust na yung bandsaw ko. Checked the roller guides underneath the table and there was some bits of smoldering wood dust.

First time this happened, or maybe first time i've only noticed.

The important piece is that i dunno why this happened. maybe i'll calibrate the lower guides again, I've had sparks and heat generate from the upper guides before with too tight a setting.

And also, clean the BS regularly of wood dust.

Dang, kung iniwan ko ngayung lunch time yung shop, ewan ko na kung anong nangyari. will check in half an hour intervals...
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

PreviousNext

Return to Members Shop