Gattaca's workshop

Re: Gattaca's workshop

Unread post #131 by gattaca » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:11 pm

I need to make a router table. To make jigs. Not as involved as balarila's, but maybe like pablo requena's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9j_NLcb7j8 . Ang hirap i-asa sa edge guide.

Bit by bit is the progress in my guitar building. As i didn't make a good jig/ mini shooting board for the braces, quality has suffered. Some braces are thicker than in the plan by less than a millimeter. Err on the stronger/safe side.

My oh my, the first guitarreros like Torres were courageous. The braces are in the region of 4mm high, and 5 to 3mm wide. Chopsticks are stiffer. But judging from the size, the braces upwards of the soundhole is mainly for strength, and the ones in the bridge area is mainly for tone. But before deviating, follow the plan; follow the plan first.

I know the slots in the solera is a bit chaotic and that is my fault...

=====
Looking for inspiration round the web, there's the painter Robert Bouchet, who's first guitar was a good-great guitar. Interestingly the top is made of pine.

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4893- ... uchet.html
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #132 by Violaine » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 pm

what got you into guitar making in the first place?
i am no musician and so i deviate from this type of wood craft and certainly wont touch it at all in my lifetime.

i do admire a well built guitar....i have a Morris, Japan made Tornado series, but i dont know how to play it...i do admire the works of Les Paul, Takamine, Taylor etc...

inlay works i believe will make a nice looking guitar 75% of the time.

but hey, there is a cnc that can make all that 75% of inlay recess works!
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #133 by gattaca » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Because 10 years ago, i couldn't afford a luthier made guitar. Well i could now; take the easy road and get a japan made asturias (which JB music carries. http://www.asturias.jp/classical/tradit ... 5/?lang=en ) I do miss playing the guitar. Those tarrega and carcassi excercises are pretty tuneful.

And I feel restless when all i could do is watch tv or surf the web. An evening in the shop is my kind of entertainment and drama. (I haven't watched a single episode of game of thrones.)

=====
No matter how many youtube videos and forum posts i've watched and read, side bending really is one of those you-have-to-do-it-yourself to understand the process. The sound of the sizzle, the view of the slight steam, and the feel of the wood yielding. ...first attempt was not a success haha! They did say that mahog is not too cooperative. Will buy a spray bottle tomorrow to wet the sides.

There is a small working window between not enough heat (where the wood will crack) and charring the wood. Image

This is my setup.
Looks precarious but the can is held by rare earth magnet.

Will try dao and narra next.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #134 by gattaca » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Went to the workshop tonight and made a knife in under an hour. (Saw a guy in youtube using it to carve out guitar necks, pretty useful.) It's far from exact, but it's in the spirit of a japanese kiridashi or a western violin maker's knife. http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier ... ech01.html

I needed something stout, hence the repurposed chisel. But for most tasks, the olfa stainless version's thick enough (available at panda?)
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #135 by gattaca » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 pm

As i have posted, i acquired a 9 drawer toolbox of good make. Not much action in the forums so i might as well post something as mundane as painting it to make it look as good as it deserves. (I have lubed the bearings and the drawers slide nice.)

...in the international forums, people are posting their successful efforts of roller painting rustoleum on their cars with more than decent results. I got rustoleum here but unfortunately it seems expired, it doesn't harden anymore. :thumbdown:

Besides, the dark green, to my taste, isn't cutting it. I'll be painting it the closest color i could to make it look like a lista, which is boysen QDE delft blue.

They say, painting is 90% paint prep but i dunno how to fix rust spots. The light green is its original paint.

So this is the difference between paint thinner and lacquer thinner (which i know is for epoxy)...

the tip from youtube works wonders: after brushing paint stripper, cover it with plastic so the fumes can work its way to the paint, stripping power is magnified.

....going back to my workspace amigos, more later.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #136 by gattaca » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Found that i do have rust treatment potions in my shop. One is the wipe/brush on variety, one in aerosol. Same formula judging from the smell and as it is of the same brand, permatex. Mukhang mas sulit at mas safer sa lungs yung brush variety.

before:

after:

24 hours minimum of curing time...can't wait but i have to be patient
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #137 by gattaca » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Quick update. Had the welder at work make me a castered "tray" made of angle bars. It's not overbuilt, has no immaculate weld lines... it was a quick half hour job, but still better than the previous one.

moment of truth, painting time...
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #138 by gattaca » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Result when painting unthinned- straight from the can - boysen QDE?

Orange peel :problem:

Not sure if i'll "color-sand" it i.e. level with 600 grit then roller with 50/50 paint/thinner mix to solve the orange peel.
No signs of drips, lines but there are a few burst bubbles in some places so that at least i mostly got right.
It's also raining so it appears to be drying slower than the estimated time...

edit: may this be my guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Ts20xCQ2A
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #139 by timber715 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 am

it would be nice to have a finely painted cabinet, but do you really need it that nice? It is a shop cabinet right? :lolno:
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #140 by Arki » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 am

ano ba itong "3rd party hosting" mga sir? wala ako makitang mga pics. sorry hindi kasi tayo computer savvy......hehehe
Random avatar
Arki
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Members Shop