The Jointer Thread

Re: The Jointer Thread

Unread post #111 by bigfoot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:28 am

What the depth of cut recommended for a jointer?
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #112 by timber715 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Since I often start wuth rough lumber I have my jointer set to cut 3/32" to 1/16" which is a bit aggressive. But that is fine with me since I only need to get my stocks milled and squared on two sides. Note: i do not rely on the finish quality it provides as I still clean it on the thicknesser, handplane or sander if needed. Again it just needs to flatten and square one side reliably...
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #113 by balarila » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:26 pm

timber715 wrote:Since I often start wuth rough lumber I have my jointer set to cut 3/32" to 1/16" which is a bit aggressive. But that is fine with me since I only need to get my stocks milled and squared on two sides. Note: i do not rely on the finish quality it provides as I still clean it on the thicknesser, handplane or sander if needed. Again it just needs to flatten and square one side reliably...

Same here.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #114 by bigfoot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 pm

I guess 1.5-2mm is about right then.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #115 by timber715 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:33 am

been looking for a helical cutterhead for my jointer and since there really isn't any specification the local distributor can give, I am left with no option but to remove the head and measure it....
I was able to reassemble and re tune it naman without issues.... let us see what I can get
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #116 by joey81 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:40 am

Get in touch with Brian of Holbren. He can help you find a matching Shelix.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #117 by balarila » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:53 pm

I emailed Shelix once to ask for a helical head for my Makita Thicknesser. Response below:

Hi Geodino,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Unfortunately, we do not have any information on the specifications of the cutter head that is used in your machine.
For your better understanding, please note that machine manufacturers do not support our business as they much rather have you purchase a new machine than upgrading your old one with a product by a third company. This is why we rely on our customers in regard to the specifications on the cutter head in their machine.
Some customers provide the information needed as they measure every detail and send the information to us. Others simply remove the head from the machine and send the head to us. In other words, each of the 700+ SHELIX heads that we offer started with a first customer. As we currently have no information on the cutter head in your machine, this only means that we didn’t have a customer yet who is willing to take the necessary steps to enable us to produce a matching SHELIX head.
Many machine manufacturers use a cutter head from a third-party manufacturer; so there is a chance that your machine uses a cutter head that is also being used in other machines.
I send you attached to this e-mail our spec sheet and some guidelines that you can use to provide the information that we would need to send you a quote for a SHELIX head for your machine. If you fill in the spec sheet and send it back, we will check to see if we do have a standard SHELIX head matching your specs. If this is not the case, we would use it to provide you with a quote for a custom SHELIX head for your machine. As the general spec sheet includes a bunch of possible details that may not be relevant for your cutter head and therefore may look confusing, I also send you a detailed drawing on a 15” planer head to show you what we need. Feel free to provide your own drawing with only the details necessary. For the purpose of the quote, an accuracy of 1/16” is sufficient but if you later wish to place an order for a SHELIX head, we need these measurements with an accuracy of 0.001”. If you don’t have the necessary tools to measure with this accuracy, please consider asking a local machine shop to measure your cutter head.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Steffen Morning
info@shelixheads.com
Tel.: 250-589-5879
Toll Free: 1-855-699-6635
https://shelixheads.com
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #118 by timber715 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks guys but... but... but... we found the source in China already and we are in contact with them. I am starting with my jointer...
regarding the cutterhead for the 2012nb... I might just upgrade to a bigger machine with a helical blade than upgrade it.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Previous

Return to Tool Talk and Review