Broken Makita 2012NB

Re: Broken Makita 2012NB

Unread post #11 by joey81 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am

balarila wrote: The table insert of my Bosch table saw snapped in two while I was removing it. Ordered a replacement from Amazon.

Aaahhh...... Harvey?
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #12 by balarila » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:31 pm

joey81 wrote:
balarila wrote: The table insert of my Bosch table saw snapped in two while I was removing it. Ordered a replacement from Amazon.

Aaahhh...... Harvey?

He-he. Ordered a table insert for the Bosch. That way, when I sell it by the time I use my Harvey, the Bosch will be fully operational when I sell it.

Or I can keep the Bosch as my rabbet/dado machine.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #13 by balarila » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Parts are available in Mayon and they deliver COD. Ordered the ff:

Set Plate – Php 1,562
Part Number 343682-8

Blades, 1 pair – Php 2,780
Part Number 793346-8

Sprocket 10, set of 3 – Php 1,255/set
Part Number 221525-3

Total is P8,107. Ouch. Delivery on Thu.
balarila

Unread post #14 by gattaca » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 am

Am here at mayon, the prices are accurate.
Now it turns out there is a BIG one sides blade for the 212nb, costs 5k.. 2012nb knife https://imgur.com/gallery/XUngQ
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #15 by timber715 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm

gattaca wrote:Am here at mayon, the prices are accurate.
Now it turns out there is a BIG one sides blade for the 212nb, costs 5k.. 2012nb knife https://imgur.com/gallery/XUngQ

That can be sharpened for multiple use right?! how thick is it?

My 2012nb has been with me since 2013 iirc. never had issues other than dull blades.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #16 by gattaca » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:23 am

I think you never had issues because you have never run boards with nails through yours. I work with reclaimed lumber and even with careful inspection i have accidentally planed nail heads through mine =/. I truly wonder if that is the real cause of the warped set plate+broken thin blade... the wedged chips underneath are just the aftermath...

That or Ding and I have never cleaned the mating surface and torqued the bolts tight enough. I'm scared of stripping the threads on the bolts din kase.

I have not measured but the 5k resharpenable blade for the 2012nb does look a bit thicker as far as i can tell from the packaging...
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #17 by joey81 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:45 am

My theory is, the still partially attached splinters in your reclaimed lumber (result of pulling out nails) got wedged under the plate. This raised the plate a bit, creating an opening for more debris to get into.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #18 by balarila » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:20 pm

joey81 wrote:My theory is, the still partially attached splinters in your reclaimed lumber (result of pulling out nails) got wedged under the plate. This raised the plate a bit, creating an opening for more debris to get into.

My theory, too, Joey.

Changed out a bunch of things in my 2012NB: sprockets, set plate, blades, belt.

Runs ok now but there is a ticking sound. That happened before when the torsion spring came loose. I checked and the trosion spring is still in its place but the chain catches intermittently. The machine planes fine but I know now that when there is an unusual sound, I should attend to it. Torsion spring and chain are cheap so I ordered them.

BTW, the last order i posted, Mayon game me a discount: Just P7k for the whole lot.
balarila

Unread post #19 by timber715 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:43 pm

I think Gattaca is correct that the blade holder hit something hard enough to bend like a left over nail. I run hardwoods like Kamagong and Kaimito (yung galing kay JT) to a point where the noise is just too much. I don't think splinters can do that no matter how hard the wood. Other than a nail hitting it, the only thing I can think of is that the holders were not properly tightened in sequence. This should be done from the center outward to ensure that the blade is properly held down.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #20 by balarila » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:09 am

timber715 wrote:I think Gattaca is correct that the blade holder hit something hard enough to bend like a left over nail. I run hardwoods like Kamagong and Kaimito (yung galing kay JT) to a point where the noise is just too much. I don't think splinters can do that no matter how hard the wood. Other than a nail hitting it, the only thing I can think of is that the holders were not properly tightened in sequence. This should be done from the center outward to ensure that the blade is properly held down.

You could be right about the nails, Sonny. Am aware that the blade got chipped once which is why I now use a magnet to detect embedded nails on reclaimed lumber.

As for proper tightening, was sure I followed the right sequence last time I flipped the blades.
balarila

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Talk and Review