Broken Makita 2012NB

Broken Makita 2012NB

Unread post #1 by balarila » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:03 am

About 2 months back, my Makita 2012NB Thicknesser/Planer started having a clicking sound. That has happened before and I fixed it then by realigning the spring that tensions the chain. Didn't work now but I continued using the planer thinking there may be some wood stuck inside and I'll clean it when I found the time.

Then, the sprockets gave:

Fortunately, Mayon sold them. Twice the price from Amazon but I was desperate. Replaced them. The clicking continued. I was puzzled. Tnen, the sprockets again loosened. Hammered some and reversed some just to fit. I used the planer gently from then on. Until what I was planing had ugly gouges. I thought the blade must have broken.

Opened it up and saw that the set plate was bent and the blade had indded broken.

I think what happened is that a piece of wood got jammed between the set plate and blade and, over time, dust got in, too and broke the blade.

I hope the set plate is available locally!
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Broken Makita 2012NB

Unread post #2 by gattaca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:59 am

Happened to my makita too- having shavings forced stuffed into the set plate. Symptom was that it wouldnt cut on wide boards/uneven cut. not so wide boards are ok.

Hmm i should check again on my 2012nb... but mine isn't too severe that the blade broke.

I believe sharp blades cured my problem. I can't recall of i banged the set plate straight or i tightened further the screws. just that my makita works now. I use a 3/8 ratchet anyway cause i believe the oem wrench torques the screws too loose.

Thanks for posting balarila. =)
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #3 by balarila » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm

gattaca wrote:I can't recall of i banged the set plate straight or i tightened further the screws. just that my makita works now.

Tried hammering my set plate, too. BUt I fear I will just contort it further so I think I’ll look for a local source. Thanks.
balarila

Unread post #4 by timber715 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Bring it to Mayon and have it properly serviced. Servicing should be free and pay for parts only.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #5 by Ricky » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 pm

Timb yan lang kulang ko sa arsenal ko, pero bakit wala kasi g bosch na thicknesser?
Ricky

Unread post #6 by timber715 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Ricky wrote:Timb yan lang kulang ko sa arsenal ko, pero bakit wala kasi g bosch na thicknesser?

Di mo naman kailangan yan eh, puro mdf at sheet good gamit mo eh...
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #7 by Ricky » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Baka one day kailanganin hahaha just like my bosch multitool, 2yrs in storage tapos bigla saved me bigtine sa isa job.

A tool is like a gun. “ better to have it and not use it , than need it and not have it’ bang haha
Ricky

Unread post #8 by gattaca » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:35 am

Crap. No pics, but one of the knives is broken just like ding's. There's a hump in the set plate where the chips got impacted in.

Will inquire at mayon (now named as the corny "clk supertools") how much for that spare part and a pair of knives...
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #9 by Ricky » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:29 am

Dapat pala after using is to clean thoroughly even with compreseed air.
Ricky

Unread post #10 by balarila » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:55 am

Sorry to hear that you're in the same miserable predicament as I. Let's trade notes as we solve this. I am out of town at the moment so can't do much.

I actually do annual maintenance of my equipment between Christmas and New Year as (real) work is light those days. Last time, I took apart the planer, put some dry lube, reversed the blades, aligned the bed and t hummed perfectly.

Unfortunately, this season, I also had quite a number of projects that I postponed maintenance. Naunahan ng sira.

My bandsaw also gave (now fixed). And I'm about to change the motor of my jointer. The table insert of my Bosch table saw snapped in two while I was removing it. Ordered a replacement from Amazon.

I think all my equpment are showing signs of strain after about 5-7 years.
balarila

Next

Return to Tool Talk and Review