VEGA TABLE SAW FENCE PROFESSIONAL MODEL INSTALLATION

VEGA TABLE SAW FENCE PROFESSIONAL MODEL INSTALLATION

Unread post #1 by Violaine » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:39 am

This is an upgrade for my Taiwan made cabinet saw fence system. I have this Vega table saw fence for nearly 4 years waiting to be installed and until now.
Why upgrade the fence?
The fence that my saw came with was just alright but the movement isnt slick and with slight play side to side and more importantly, limited rip capacity. This is the model with nearly 40 inches right side rip capacity.
Here is thr link to this fence: http://vegawoodworking.com/product/table-saw-fence/

Lets begin by checking the installation manual. Before, i used to start or use the tool without taking the time to read the manual. But hey this is not a machine like a power drill that you are familiar already of what it does!
The manual is straightforward, easy to follow, just 4 pages of well written notes and drawings...i checked the the hardwares...no extra screws or bolts leaving you scratching your head after all has been carefully installed and attached and still some screws are left nobody knows where they need to be bolted. At least nothing is missing.

Manual says: for the fence rail carriage, two 3/8" diameter mounting holes need to be drilled thru the sides of table top and they need to be located at between 8 to 9 inches to the right and left of the blade...my table's holes wont fit the bill.

Firstly i need some hand protection. These gloves are thin enough to allow finger movements and still thick enough for protection:

then i need a carbide scriber...this one i got from Amajay a long time ago..for marking the hole locations on a black painted steel top. I think fellow Bugel used this tool a lot in his shop marking angular bars.

Then a set of cobalt drill bits

and my trusty corded drill...a Bosch model GSB 16RE which was given as a gift in 1997 and the second drill in fact after my first B&D DIY model(still made in UK) retired in that same year. This Bosch is still working fine, brushes already replaced once, a brute in itself drilling everything that comes in its path provided the right bits. It doesnt have its label anymore and the color just tells you its a Bosch..the only gripe is the keyed chuck and the key sometimes slip because of a few broken teeth in the chuck...i suspect the borrower hit it with a hammee when he was looking for the key and couldnt find it..now a hassle to use I dont know if i need to upgrade to a keyless one but its just alright to use it on occasion other than its the drill that i lend to relatives or friends who needs it.

Now is the time to remove the stock fence rails and the angular bar that supports the front rail. i needed some 6mm allen wrench to remove the 4 mounting screws off the cast iron top
then after finding the location of the holes, i used a combination square (the oldest in my possession, my newer Empire combi square wasnt square at all so i am finally cutting the other 6 inches of its metal rule so i dont have to buy one.)
then drill away...it is always ok to start with a smaller bit i guess...and with some lubricating oil..the drill set on a slow speed
Last edited by Violaine on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: VEGA TABLE SAW FENCE PROFESSIONAL MODEL INSTALLATION

Unread post #2 by Violaine » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 am

here is the aluminum front rail carriage
then after drilling the appropriate holes, i bolted them
then installed the tubular front rail...it is chrome plated 1/32" thick steel with plastic ends caps.
then tried the fence, made up of aluminum extrusion, 5" wide by 4" high by 30" long
there is very little play if at all with firm pressure
then i checked the fence if its square to the blade and it is...but i adjusted the fence so that the rear part is off by more than 1mm versus the front part (relative to the blade)
this is the underside of the fence, molded to fit the tubular rail with recess so as not to scrape and scratch the scale tape
it features also a microadjuster.
my gripe is this stubby (short) locking lever but its true that i usually bump the locking lever of my powermatic saw. but it does its job by locking the fence period. (but i prefer it bigger!)
Violaine

Unread post #3 by Violaine » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:03 am

now its time to install the rear rail...and like the front rail, i requires bolting it to the cast iron top..after drilling the appropriate holes, i installed it leaving at least 1mm below the surface of the miter slot
then adjusted and installed the fence's underside rubber foot to glide on the rear fence and its locking plate
after cleaning the fence system's dirt and dried tape adhesive with mineral spirits i decided to do some spring cleaning on the saw itself...raised the blade and prepare to vacuum the dust collected inside....well not much...since i havent been doing any woodworking as of yet
and there it is!
final tweaking of the fence scale

now i dont know what to do with the old fence...any suggestion?

cheers!
Violaine

Unread post #4 by Onesided » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Sir violaine pwede nyo benta sken sken ung old fence if you like. Hehe as long i can rip 24inches happy nako. Para naman ung contractor tablesaw ko papatungan ko na lang ng plywood at ung fence lumaki na ang work surface area.
Random avatar
Onesided
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #5 by zURi3 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Sir, anu po yung model ng saw ninyo sir?baka pwede po yan sa delta 34 440 ko.
Random avatar
zURi3
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #6 by jadama » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:51 am

Doc tama na upgrades, build na hehehe.
jadama
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #7 by Violaine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 am

Ang brand ng saw ko ay Cheng Shen...12"...pass as Grizzly in the US...let me know the hole locations relative to the two miter slots and also on the table top...

@jadama....hahaha...me isang taon pko mag shop organize bro in time for the healing...hehehe...sana...
Nagpa pile up na mga listahan ng gagawin ko.
Violaine

Unread post #8 by avmanansala » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 am

daming kahoy sa gilid oh!
Once you know the password you can go anywhere. Log In. Log Out. Leg It! Password Accepted.
avmanansala

Unread post #9 by Violaine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 am

Hehe...tampo na sila..gusto na nilang maging upuan, silya o kaya mesa...konting tiis na lng mga kahoy!
Violaine

Unread post #10 by zURi3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:24 pm

sir V, ito po yung table saw. Sorry for late response.
then ito po yung measurement with respect to miter slot.
aprrox. 2 13/16 po yung right and 1 7/8 yung left.
Random avatar
zURi3
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Return to Tool Talk and Review