the Handplane Thread

Re: the Handplane Thread

Unread post #71 by nick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 am

Maybe I can also make planing as a form of exercise, anyone tried this?
nick
Registered Member
Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #72 by bigfoot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 am

Its also the norm for skilled local carpenters before, they spend half an hour or more everyday before work sharpening their tools.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #73 by Bernard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 am

bigfoot wrote:Its also the norm for skilled local carpenters before, they spend half an hour or more everyday before work sharpening their tools.

Agree. Still, some actually do it right before the end of the work day. I suppose so that everything will be ready the following day's work. By the way, at an average of 4 minutes per blade, one should be able to sharpen about 4 hand planes and 4 chisels. Manually that is. I do it sometimes, although when there is a need to use a particular plane/chisel, I have to sharpen in between usage throughout the day. For example, if one is starting a set of mortises, you would want to stick to a particular chisel until the entire set is finished. Yes, there can sometimes be variations in actual chisel sizes of the same no. That is why constant sharpening is necessary.
Do not lean on the assumption that buying the best short circuits the learning curve --- P. Sellers (a paraphrase)
Random avatar
Bernard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #74 by Bernard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 am

nick wrote:Maybe I can also make planing as a form of exercise, anyone tried this?

Yep, why not? Although the idea of puttering around doing hobby is really a form of exercise already. Well, compared to those who spend quite a lot of time on their couches. Consider this, just reaching for a hand drill, preparing the work piece and actually drilling a single hole requires a lot of concentration (for safety purposes), and of course, a few calories.
Do not lean on the assumption that buying the best short circuits the learning curve --- P. Sellers (a paraphrase)
Random avatar
Bernard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #75 by Violaine » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:31 am

saved for the planing days, i had built some biceps through the years...
but planing all day isnt what i intend to do...i still like to assemble at least something at the end of the day!

hahahahaha!
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #76 by Bernard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:42 am

You are right, Doc. Focus should really be on the output and not the thinnest shavings or the shiniest blade. The nature of skill is to do it over and over again in the course of our projects. After all, one will eventually be able to gauge the quality of the plane or chisel work by the finished product.
Random avatar
Bernard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #77 by Violaine » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:52 am

Bernard wrote:You are right, Doc. Focus should really be on the output and not the thinnest shavings or the shiniest blade. The nature of skill is to do it over and over again in the course of our projects. After all, one will eventually be able to gauge the quality of the plane or chisel work by the finished product.

in that case i should start working on the request made by our labandera...a wooden laundry stool!
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #78 by nick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

:think: Maybe those who has a hand plane can share their thinnest shavings here with measurement from a caliper
nick
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #79 by gattaca » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm

^ am in manila right now till d weekend so cant report figures for you.

Apart from a fettled plane, there are variables like the width of the shaving (or rather the plane piece) and type of wood. Plus it's not recommended to use a caliper because one can squish it, a micrometer or dial indicator in a jig is best. But yes, a caliper will give one an idea...

Will plane mahogany and post my results when i get back...
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #80 by timber715 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I have tried and done measuring the shaving of my handplanes... one thing I can tell you is....... it really is useless to measure the shavings. Unless you intend to join a contest abroad or something, I know very few people that buys handplanes to see how thin a shaving they can get.
timber715
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Talk and Review