is 110v using ground rod safe?

All about electrical and electronics.

Re: is 110v using ground rod safe?

Unread post #11 by joey81 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:07 pm

timber715 wrote:
joey81 wrote:Tried this once on my GTS1031 just to satisfy my curiosity. I noticed that the TS ran a bit slower than when using a 110v transformer.

My setup is:
- #14 ground wire
- 8-foot copper stake
- also connected to meralco's ground

Check your sources... One must be right and the other isn't.... OR, under rated yung step down mo.

Step down ba o avr gamit mo?

Timb, the TS runs fine on the 3kW AVR/stepdown. Its when I connect it to the 110+ground that it runs a bit slower.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #12 by gavin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 pm

I just moved into a house which only has active/neutral wiring installed. Would anyone happen to know a good electrician around Paranaque familiar with adding in the earth/ground connections? All the electricians I've spoken to so far aren't even familiar with what the earth cable is for.
Random avatar
gavin
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #13 by Eric » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:57 am

gavin wrote:I just moved into a house which only has active/neutral wiring installed. Would anyone happen to know a good electrician around Paranaque familiar with adding in the earth/ground connections? All the electricians I've spoken to so far aren't even familiar with what the earth cable is for.

Hi gavin, actually you can DIY. Bumili ka ng 8ft copper/brass rod at clamp tsaka atleast AWG# 10 copper wire. Ibaon mo lang yang rod tapos i-clamp mo lang yong wire sa rod ayos na. Since wala kang soil resistance tester pumili ka na lang ng lugar na medyo mabasa para sure na mababa ang resistance. Sa kaso mo active/neutral ang linya mo -- line to neutral or line to ground ang tawag dyan. Basically, pwede mo rin gamitin yang neutral na galing sa service entrance mo pero mas maganda talaga yong may sariling grounding.
Measure twice, cut once, buy extra just in case you can’t do the job right if you don’t have the right tools
Eric
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #14 by gavin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi Eric,

I'm starting to think I will end up having to do it myself, was trying to avoid crawling around in the roof! :-)

As I'm fairly new to the country I'm still learning how to locate suppliers, any tips on where I can pick up the earth stakes from? The only hardware type store I've found so far is Ace, but they seem to have a pretty limited range.
Random avatar
gavin
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #15 by bigfoot » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:00 pm

I got mine before from an electrical shop in Paco,Manila, Mansion Electrical i think. Stores specialuzing in electrical supplies should have them.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #16 by joey81 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Got mine from a neighborhood hardware/construction supply store. I believe there are plenty of this kind of store along the Alabang-Zapote road.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #17 by Eric » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 pm

I got mine from junkshop by luck and its cheaper.
Measure twice, cut once, buy extra just in case you can’t do the job right if you don’t have the right tools
Eric
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #18 by balarila » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Got mine from an old hardware store in Binondo. When I was building my house, I wanted to have grounding rods so got six of these copper poles and gauge 2 copper wires, buried the rods in, presumably, the dampest part of the lot..

Cost quite a bit but still cheaper than frying your appliances.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Previous

Return to Electricals and Electronics