PC Build

All about electrical and electronics.

Re: PC Build

Unread post #21 by balarila » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm

Been happily using the PC about two months now.

Using this PC for post processing photos. One of my serious hobbies is bird photography. After coming back from a “birding” trip, I would have hundreds of photos. A bird would typically be shot multiple times (sometimes more than a hundred) in the hopes of getting a few keepers.

I therefore need to preview each photo full-screen and mark those that are trash. I do many passes, rating each photo with stars. Those that end with highest ratings (possibly still in the hundreds) are then individually edited in RAW format. I then run a Photoshop “action” to generate many layers of sharpening, noise-reduction, color correction, and other layers for editing (color balance, curves, etc); they are saved in TIFF. By this time, each photo is a few hundred megs. Then, I go through the arduous process of manual editing. Afterwards, I run an action to save them in JPEG. I actually save each keeper in RAW (DNG), TIFF, and JPEG for various uses.

I need performance during edits as well as when running the Photoshop actions.

I also do orchestral MIDI arrangements. In music production, several tracks of audio are combined with several midi tracks. I do choir and orchestral production so I could have 16 audio tracks combined with 30+ layers of midi tracks. The software I use becomes sluggish in my old system that, sometimes, I “bounce” or consolidate some audio tracks for manageability.

So, bottom line, I need processing power. I noticed that both CPU and memory use are heavy so I went for some really “heavy” hardware.

Note that my graphics card seems puny compared to the rest of the specs. But that's just right for me. I only do photography processing so 2D is sufficient for me. I don't do gaming so no need for those bleeding edge graphics cards.

Some samples of the bird photos I shoot.

I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #22 by timber715 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:46 am

Ngayon ko lang nalaman Ding, mahilig ka pala sa bird :think: :wtf: :shifty:
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #23 by balarila » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:55 am

timber715 wrote:Ngayon ko lang nalaman Ding, mahilig ka pala sa bird :think: :wtf: :shifty:

I'd rather say "Mahilig sa chicks!"
balarila

Unread post #24 by timber715 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:04 am

balarila wrote:
timber715 wrote:Ngayon ko lang nalaman Ding, mahilig ka pala sa bird

I'd rather say "Mahilig sa chicks!"

malalaki na yun eh.... Pag chicks kasi malapit dapat pa sa itlog.... :wtf: :think: :shifty:
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #25 by joey81 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:57 pm

balarila wrote:So, after all that, it comes down to just a defective power cable.

Last December our plasma TV went kaput. Opened it up, probed the output of the power supply board... nothing!
Found a replacement board on eBay, tried to find someone who will hand-carry it from the US.

Fortunately no one was coming home soon. Found the real culprit a couple of days later.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #26 by bigfoot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:22 pm

Defective plug?
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #27 by balarila » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:52 am

Aba, nabuhay na naman Ang thread ko!

One update:
After a few months, the PC died again. Forgot when but it died probably on the last week of my PSU warranty. So I rushed back to the PSU vendor, Dynaquest.

Guy tried everything short of waving a magic wand at it but could not get the PSU to power up. Am very careful with my PC and have a good AVR/surge suppressor so we concluded it must be a defective PSU.

He took it in for a warranty replacement. He said he needed to consult with th manufacturer if they would honor the warranty. Besides, no stock at that moment so I would have to wait a few months for the replacement to arrive. Left the PSU with with a "Bahala na kayo, hmph" attitude and stormed out.

Meantime, bought a Corsair PSU and installed it so I can continue with my work. That Corsair PSU is still alive today.

After a few months, Dynaquest delivered! They have a spanking new replacement PSU for me.

I now have this PSU sitting in a shelf. Since PSUs (and hard drives) are the first parts to break in a PC, at least, I have a reserve.
balarila

Previous

Return to Electricals and Electronics