AVR vs Step-Down Transformer

All about electrical and electronics.

Re: AVR vs Step-Down Transformer

Unread post #21 by beedigo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:34 am

Hi braders, just want to know if avrs and stepdowns consumes power or electricity if they are plugged in a power source but no load or no appliance or power tool plugged into them?
And which of the two consumes more power/electricity without loaf. TIA Bros.
Random avatar
beedigo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #22 by Violaine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:22 pm

I think yes and the bigger your avr/ stepdown the more electricity it uses...although minimal in consumption, id hate to leave them plugged to the outlet.
Afterall, safety first.
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #23 by bigfoot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Both will consume electricity without load, the amount will depend on the size of the AVR/Transformer.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #24 by beedigo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Violaine wrote:I think yes and the bigger your avr/ stepdown the more electricity it uses...although minimal in consumption, id hate to leave them plugged to the outlet.
Afterall, safety first.

bigfoot wrote:Both will consume electricity without load, the amount will depend on the size of the AVR/Transformer.

Thanks braders, the real reason I am asking this is that my brother bought a ref from hmr 110volts rated at 150watts and he is planning to get a 750watts avr, but I suggested he get the 1Kwatts instead for safety purposes, but he insisted stating that the 1Kw will consume 250watts more than the 750watts causing to have a higher electric bill.
Random avatar
beedigo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #25 by timber715 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Doc, the difference will only affect the bill when it isn't in use (no load). Once load is applied, it will consume the same with a 750w or a 5000watt step-down or avr.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #26 by Violaine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Parang i read somewhere that bigger watt transformer will consume more on stand by operation than lesser wattage ones due to more windings...
maybe 0.00005 watts? Per hour? Haha. I dont know...

But since a ref is involved, ilang horsepower ba yung motor compressor ng ref Dick?
Violaine

Unread post #27 by gattaca » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:00 pm

I don't have a precise answer to the question at hand either. Like Violane, i suspect "no-load losses" is insignificant enough to treat it with a don't-sweat-the-small-stuff frame of mind.

Okay, shallow googling says losses are in the 1% region. http://www.copper.org/environment/susta ... iency.html . As long as the avr or transformer is rated enough for the load so it doesn't heat up too much and be a hazard.

But i'm in the market for another avr. So what's a good brand these days? The prolink one looks like a goodie like this one: http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=35996232 . This is the electronic relay kind- cheaper, switches faster than the mechanical servo type at the cost of imprecise regulation (10% +/- says the manufacturer http://www.prolink2u.com/newtemp/en/avr ... eries.html .) Still better for my specific needs because the power here swings from 179VAC (!!!) to 215VAC.
woodworking = problem solving.
gattaca
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #28 by Violaine » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:24 am

sa bandang Mindanao avenue, the voltage rating was 235volts eh..this is when i brought my busted rice cooker sa service center...years back.

sa Paranaque, East service road side, 210Volts naman...

ma check nga sa Malate area...hehe
Violaine

Unread post #29 by colecash99 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:06 am

Hi sir bago lang po ako sa woodworkings, ask ko lang po ung table same po sa pinas na bibili need po ba stepdown transformer? how much po ung costing nga un ng stepdown transformer? and if i buy 1700watts na power tool po need ko ba 5k na stepdown transformer? or 3k pwede na?
Random avatar
colecash99
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #30 by balarila » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:17 am

colecash99 wrote:Hi sir bago lang po ako sa woodworkings, ask ko lang po ung table same po sa pinas na bibili need po ba stepdown transformer? how much po ung costing nga un ng stepdown transformer? and if i buy 1700watts na power tool po need ko ba 5k na stepdown transformer? or 3k pwede na?

5K would be overkill, unless you foresee you'll be running more than one power tool at a time. You just need some headroom beyond the power rating of your tool and then some for when you start it up. I would think 3k is more than enough.

I will let the electrical experts give a more accurate response.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

PreviousNext

Return to Electricals and Electronics