AVR vs Step-Down Transformer

All about electrical and electronics.

Re: AVR vs Step-Down Transformer

Unread post #11 by balarila » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Here's my experience: I bought a Samwon AVR for my 110V Bosch 4100 Table Saw. Can't recall the power ratings of both table saw and AVR but I am sure I put in a big safety margin.

When I was ripping some very long strips and it would bind frequently, taxing the table saw's motor, the Samwon AVR gave out smoke and died. Went to the supplier since it was under warranty and he gladly replaced it with a new one.

Same thing happened.

I now have a plain step-down. Works well.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #12 by JojoD818 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

lordjowelz wrote:Pano na lang yung triton 3 1/4 router ko sir?

Kaya nyo po ba gumawa ng step-down transformer sir Jojo? if ever sayo na lang ako kukuha :thumbup:

Is that 3.25 HP sir?

Yes sir, pero meron na ako tao na nag wind baka masira ang softness ng mga kamay ko pag ako nag rewind ng transformer eh :lolno:

Pinapa quote ko pa yun materyales para sa 2KVA, 3KVA and 5KVA na stepdown, pag lumabas computation i-post ko dito. Yun tipong presyong pang cab1 pero dapat tunay ang rating. Gawan na lang ng GI na box then paint, di naman importante itsura ang importante kaya dalin ang load.

Tulong ko dito sa community kasi puro 220V naman tools ko eh hehehe...
JojoD818

Unread post #13 by JojoD818 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

balarila wrote:Here's my experience: I bought a Samwon AVR for my 110V Bosch 4100 Table Saw. Can't recall the power ratings of both table saw and AVR but I am sure I put in a big safety margin.

When I was ripping some very long strips and it would bind frequently, taxing the table saw's motor, the Samwon AVR gave out smoke and died. Went to the supplier since it was under warranty and he gladly replaced it with a new one.

Same thing happened.

Once the magic smoke comes out, it is impossible to put it back in sir... :lolno:
JojoD818

Unread post #14 by J03L » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks in advance sir.. :thumbup:

Antayin ko na lang yan kung kailan ma out sa Cab Market.. :angel:
J03L

Unread post #15 by timber715 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:54 am

balarila wrote:Here's my experience: I bought a Samwon AVR for my 110V Bosch 4100 Table Saw. Can't recall the power ratings of both table saw and AVR but I am sure I put in a big safety margin.

Same thing happened.

Plain step down? 5000 watts? :thumbup:
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #16 by balarila » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:30 am

timber715 wrote:

Same thing happened.

Plain step down? 5000 watts? :thumbup:

He-he. No. Still haven't found the time to wire up my garage. That 5000W step down is for a dedicated 110V line that I've been meaning to do. Have all the wires, conduits, etc but not the time.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #17 by timber715 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Naku, baka madinig ni moji na di pa nakakakabit yan.... :shifty:
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #18 by JojoD818 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:36 pm

lordjowelz wrote:Thanks in advance sir.. :thumbup:

Antayin ko na lang yan kung kailan ma out sa Cab Market.. :angel:

Sir,

Sorry for the late update, initial costing for the step-down is...

2KVA - 7.2K
3KVA - 8.8K
5KVA - 13.5K

MTO (made to order only), unit has a painted case, outlet and power cord already. 2KVA and 3KVA models have handles on the top of the casing except for the 5KVA, too heavy already.

110V output at 220V input, guaranteed VA rating (standard winding computation as opposed to commercial winding computation). ideal headroom, every model can withstand starting load currents of about 2.5x it's VA rating, suitable for motor driven loads (i.e. power tools).

Costing is based on material prices as of Dec 2013 and still holding.

Cheers

P.S. This may not be the suitable place to post this, kindly move or delete if necessary. Thanks!
JojoD818

Unread post #19 by joey81 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Wild question.

Can I make the torroid+servo type AVR be like a variac? Disconnect the servo motor perhaps and manually turn the arm (while powered down, of course).
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #20 by JojoD818 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:47 pm

joey81 wrote:Wild question.

Can I make the torroid+servo type AVR be like a variac? Disconnect the servo motor perhaps and manually turn the arm (while powered down, of course).

Sure, make sure to disconnect the servo motor connection first. Extend the governor's shafting and put a knob, preferably plastic so it is insulated. Use a DMM to monitor the output. As long as you don't hit the cut-off switches you are good.

This is not a replacement for a variac though, but for all intents and purposes it should work to step up/step down the input voltage.
JojoD818

PreviousNext

Return to Electricals and Electronics