Home Theater Rebuild

All about house and building construction.

Home Theater Rebuild

Unread post #1 by balarila » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:52 am

Been busy the past few weekends and holidays rebuilding my Home Theater.

It was flooded some months back for 3 times during heavy rains. Now, those of you who’ve been to my place would wonder how on earth that could happen when I live in the hills of Antipolo and my house is in a high portion where the street is on a steep incline.

The unthinkable happened thanks to a neighbor’s construction where the crew (I claim) spilled trash and aggregates into a nearby open manhole, clogging the 300mm culvert just downhill from my house causing drainage to build up, eventually backflowing out through my garden drains and into my electrical conduits. My home theater had multiple “showerheads” courtesy of the pinlights.

This was how it looked like.

So I stripped the entire hardiflex ceiling and removed all the faux-carpet vinyl tiles and tried my hand at drywalling.

Had to hire two guys to help me install the ceiling just to hold up the drywall while I screwed. (It’s not what you think)
All drywall now done. Gypsum putty applied. The messy part of sanding nearly done, too.

While at it, decided to make some new cabinets.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Home Theater Rebuild

Unread post #2 by Ricky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Pangalawa mo na yun akin hindi ko pa nasimulan ulit hahaha.

Nasira ba yung hardiflex ceiling? I think sya yung pinaka resilient when it comes to water contact.

Ang bigat ng gypsum noh, kaya when i see sa youtube how foreigners install it by themself eh napapa wow ako. Either using the lift or the stilt .

Gusto ko na order nun stilt kaya lang super mahal masyado.

Good luck ulit sa built.
Ricky

Unread post #3 by balarila » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:16 am

Ricky wrote:Pangalawa mo na yun akin hindi ko pa nasimulan ulit hahaha.

Nasira ba yung hardiflex ceiling? I think sya yung pinaka resilient when it comes to water contact.

Ang bigat ng gypsum noh, kaya when i see sa youtube how foreigners install it by themself eh napapa wow ako. Either using the lift or the stilt .

Gusto ko na order nun stilt kaya lang super mahal masyado.

Good luck ulit sa built.

Thanks. Oo nga. Ang bigaaat! I initially hired one person and he had to drag his neighbor kasi hindi namin kaya dalawa. I should get those stilts, too. I was dragging my aluminum ladder all around.

The hardiflex sagged kasi 3 times nababad. Ok na rin. At least, the gypsum board is more acoustically friendly.

One challenge I had is that the pamakuan are not all aligned. If I had time, I would have replaced them with neat steel ones.

Had to rewire too. If you recall, I had all my equipment at the back and I had this fancy wireless transceiver that bounced around the signal from my remote to the back. But it was not very reliable to I am changing into the more conventional front-located equipment. This meant ensuring I have sockets in front and a 110V line from front to the back where the projector is.

Good practice for me. Acquired skills will come in handy when I build my workshop next.
balarila

Unread post #4 by Ricky » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Practice makes perfect.
Ricky

Unread post #5 by balarila » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:34 am

Yehey. Tapos na pinta. Next, flooring.

balarila

Unread post #6 by balarila » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Slow, but getting there. Finished and painted the ceiling and walls. Now, floor is 90% complete.

Floor installation is very easy with these new engineered wood planks. But murder on the knees. Threw away my old broken kneepads. Need to get me a new set.

Had to stop. Silly me. Almost "painted myself in a corner" metaphorically.

The door cannot open with the new floor a bit higher. Will trim the door this weekend.

I know, I know...that wood floor will reflect sound like crazy. But SWMBO likes the look and feel of wood floor. Will just have some properly placed area rugs.
balarila

Unread post #7 by Ricky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:36 pm

Hahaha mga expert tayo kaya some times may ganyan problem. Its what keeps our work fun, new stories to tell. Bloopers ika nga. Track saw lang katapat nyan or multitool kung tamad mag tanggal ng doors. Door seal in order after that
Ricky

Unread post #8 by balarila » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Ricky wrote:Hahaha mga expert tayo kaya some times may ganyan problem. Its what keeps our work fun, new stories to tell. Bloopers ika nga. Track saw lang katapat nyan or multitool kung tamad mag tanggal ng doors. Door seal in order after that

Ricky, appreciate some advice on this door.

Pagka loud rumbling base ang movie, nag-vibrate/rattle ang door. Almost wish I had one of those submarine bulkhead hatches.
balarila

Unread post #9 by Ricky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:45 pm

You can use raven door seals and adjust also the fit of door to jamb(usual culprit is from the door knob latch)
Ricky

Unread post #10 by Ricky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Ikaw nag install ng flooring? Did the shop mentioned na pag hindi sila nag install eh hindi valid warranty? Yun yung catch nila MINSAN
Ricky

Next

Return to Construction