PPE - Personal Protective Equipment

All about house and building construction.

PPE - Personal Protective Equipment

Unread post #1 by bryant77 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:01 am

This thread is for PPE's - Personal Protective Equipment.

Definition : PPE", is equipment worn to minimize exposure to hazards that cause serious workplace injuries and illnesses.

I will be posting PPE's commonly used in construction. I'm also encouraging our woodworking and metal working buddies to post their PPE's to promote awareness in "SAFETY and HEALTH".
Random avatar
bryant77
Jr Member
Jr Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: PPE - Personal Protective Equipment

Unread post #2 by bryant77 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:18 am

Head Protection - Hard Hat

from wikipedia:

A hard hat is a type of helmet predominantly used in workplace environments such as industrial or construction sites to protect the head from injury due to falling objects, impact with other objects, debris, rain, and electric shock. Suspension bands inside the helmet spreads the helmet's weight and the force of any impact over the top of the head. A suspension also provides space of approximately 30 mm (1.2 inch) between the helmet's shell and the wearer's head, so that if an object strikes the shell, the impact is less likely to be transmitted directly to the skull.

Cost: P250 - P500 depending on the brand, type and classification

The posted picture of Hard Hat
Brand: Top Safe
Polypropylene shell with universal slots for accessories,
6 pt nylon suspension with ratchet type adjustment.
ANZI z89.1 approved
Type 1-Top Impact
Class E, G, C
Random avatar
bryant77
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #3 by bryant77 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:25 am

My sentiment on Philippines Construction safety practices.

It''s a norm in construction here in the Philippines that most of the people/workers don't practice/implement safety in the workplace common on small to mid scale contractor and some big contractor.

Ang una ko nakikita na problem is "awareness". Even you provide them safety hard hat, safety shoes, goggles makikita mo na lang yun mga PPE's ng mga workers ay hindi ginagamit or kung saan - saan lang nakalagay.

Working on a construction environment dapat alam ng workers kung ano mga hazards. Accidents are just there waiting to happen.

On workers side sasabihin nila " Sir hindi kami sanay mag suot ng Hard hat at abala sa trabaho mahirap kumilos".
One solution na nakikita ko dito is awareness ng workers regarding sa safety.
Second is strict implementation on safety practices. If you can't follow the safety rules you are not allowed here.

I would like to cite an incident recently happened. I act as a consultant sa isang project directly reporting to the project owner. I visit the 3 times a week for 1-2 hours to check the site works, what to be done and what to implement. I ask the owner to provide the workers with PPE's (safety shoes, hard hat, safety hardness, work gloves, caution tape, etc.) tools and equipment need for site safety. It seems that they ignoring my request and it takes 3 weeks for them to provide the workers with hard had (hard hat only). The reason is "matagal na sila sa contruction business wala naman daw naaaksidente sa site no need for the PPE's gastos lang daw.

Eto na yun kinatatakutan ko. It was reported to me na yun owner ang naaksidente sa site. Accidentally fall from the stair suffered a head injury and broken bones. Not wearing any PPE's on site. No temporary safety railings.

Later I will be on site to conduct safety audit.
Random avatar
bryant77
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #4 by balarila » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 am

Totally agree on sentiments re the need for PPE. I actually wear "full battle gear" in my workshop at all times and have been saved from a few accidents by them.

One note on hard hats. They expire. Look inside the hard hat and you will see embossed dials that point to month and year of expiry. Once expired, destroy it.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #5 by camv » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am

balarila wrote:Totally agree on sentiments re the need for PPE. I actually wear "full battle gear" in my workshop at all times and have been saved from a few accidents by them.

One note on hard hats. They expire. Look inside the hard hat and you will see embossed dials that point to month and year of expiry. Once expired, destroy it.

Thanks for the info. I just look at my hardhat and was long expired. I called the attention of our safety personnel & immediately told me to get a replacement from them.
camv
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #6 by bryant77 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:32 pm

I think the date stamp on the inner side of the hard hat is the manufacturing date.
Random avatar
bryant77
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #7 by balarila » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:32 pm

Sorry, was misinformed. Yes. Date stamp is manufacturing date. Useful life of hard hat starts on the day it is used, not manufactured. Usually, a year for a hard hat is good.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #8 by Violaine » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 am

I will take up law and when done, il go around or near construction sites and be a sucker attorney to bleed money from these companies for injuries due to neglect for workers safety. I can work also on the other side of the fence for hard headed workers who disregard personal safety.
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #9 by Violaine » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:19 am

Somwhat related to this topic, sometimes i think of making a thread for work place ergonomics. I learned about this when poor posture and poor body mechanics have already made a toll on my body especiall y on my bones and joints..equals to aches here and there every now and then.
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #10 by suart2233 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am

Newbie question... what do use or ma recommend na gloves to use when handling -Paint, Thinner, or other hazardous materials/chemicals na usually ginagamit sa woodworking...
Random avatar
suart2233
Registered Member
Registered Member

Next

Return to Construction