House construction: Step by step guide

All about house and building construction.

House construction: Step by step guide

Unread post #1 by robotsonic » Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi.

Im planning on having my house built hopefully next year.

My lot is 6.5 x 14 meters.
Location is near commonwealth ave, QC.
Im thinking of a 3 storey house and penthouse.
Very simple design. Something like this:

http://www.homedsgn.com/2013/05/16/modern-zen-design-house-by-rck-design/modern-zen-design-house-28/

My budget is very limited. Im thinking of finishing the structural side first and the finishing, interior, etc will be done as soon as funds are available.

Where should I begin? :)
Random avatar
robotsonic
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: House construction: Step by step guide

Unread post #2 by bigfoot » Thu May 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Budget, Architect and Contractor.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #3 by Violaine » Thu May 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Magkano ba estimated budget sa ganitong gouse? Yung me bubong na at wala lng finishing. I mean semento at bakal pa lng?
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #4 by Violaine » Thu May 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Sa title ng thread kasi akala ko ikaw ang mag discuss ng step by step guide. Hehe
Violaine

Unread post #5 by robotsonic » Thu May 28, 2015 6:11 pm

I'll start with a 1M budget lang muna. Hopefully makasave ng additional 500K until start of construction.

Hanap lang muna ako ng mga newly grad na architects. para mas mura.

May friends akong mga structural engineers kaya sila na ipapagawa ko. May mga kaibigan din silang mga small time contractors kaya baka magpatulong na lang ako sa kanila.

I'll just make this thread my diary na lang. :)
Random avatar
robotsonic
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #6 by balarila » Thu May 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Houses are normally costed per square meter of floor area so you need to determine, from your plan, what the area would be. Then, there are guidelines on cost depending on how luxurious you want it. It's been many years since I did mine but I recall there's different classes. Ten years ago, the passable good quality (for me) was about P15k/sqm. I'm sure prices have escalated already.

Best to plan extensively, then execute all in one go.

When I was planning my house, I had a 3D Architect software where I could visualize and "walk through" each room and around the house. I completed 14 plans! But I went back and finally built Plan #4. But, before executing, went for many weekends to Home Depot-like shops and canvassed. Then, built a gigantic worksheet where the x-axis arfe the floors and the Y-axis are the fittings and filled each cell with qty and price.

I can brag that I finished construction on sched and within budget. And visitors to my house estimate its value to be more than 3 times what I spent (real, not nominal).

So, plan very very well. I actually spent 6 months planning and built my house in 6 months.

Set aside 20% for contingency which, if you don't get to use, spend on luxuries for fittings, or landscaping, or furniture.

Good that you have contractor friends. People you can trust count a lot. At the start of the project, agree that there will be no "vale", friends or not. "Vale" is something I hate that this industry is rife with (in the small scale arena). I heard a lot of stories of homebuilders who engage contractors who mount a large IOU on vale then desert the owner.

The deal with my contractor was that we have a fixed cost which included a commitment for him to install any fitting I bought. That worked out for me.

For small contractors, you may need to assess their level of sophistication on modern things like computer cabling, alarm systems, video cables, etc. My contractor did not know drywalling and neither did I so we ended up with classic stick-framing. I knew that my contractor was trustworthy and inexpensive but also knew his limitations so I had to do a few things myself (computer cable terminations, alarm, home theater wiring, etc). Since you're in this website, I would assume you would have fun doing those anyway.

Good luck on your build and post your thoughts and progress. You'll get a lot of help here.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #7 by robotsonic » Thu May 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks balarila.

Di ko kaya ma afford in one go ang house construction kaya ang plan ko is by phase na lang muna. Structural muna ang priority then kung area lang muna ang gagamitin, sya muna ang aayusin.

Since parating pa lang ang panganay ko, to follow na lang ang room nya. :)

Madami pa pala dapat isipin.
- future-proofing (cat6 cables, wifi routers location, etc.)
- home theater cabling
- solar power integration
- solar water heater integration
- passive cooling
- value engineering
- structural design that can withstand the "big-one" since medyo malapit sa west valley fault. (approx. 2 KM lang ang layo)
Random avatar
robotsonic
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #8 by balarila » Thu May 28, 2015 7:34 pm

robotsonic wrote:- structural design that can withstand the "big-one" since medyo malapit sa west valley fault. (approx. 2 KM lang ang layo)

So long as your house is built according to the latest code, no worries about the WVF. You are not straddling the fault, 2km is pretty far though I'm sure you'll feel it when it does occur. That fault movement is estimated to occur every 400 to 600 years. Last one was 43 years ago. You have time to prepare for it.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #9 by root » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:06 pm

based on my experience a 94sqm rough would cost around 8-11k/sqm labor and materials included of course hindi kasama mga pinto, bintana, bubong tiles etc.. mas cheaper kung kaya ipasok ang concrete mixer (less labor) then sa finishing yan ang mas masakit ito kasi mga labor nito skilled na tapos mga materials ay nako.. nagpagawa kami lately may fixed budget kami umabot naman kaso dami padagdag bili dito bili doon nag x2 na yung budget hehe.. tip ko lang ilayo si cmdr. sa wilcon, ace, homedepot, truevalue
Random avatar
root
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #10 by Violaine » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Hmmm...dba si kumander ang nagba budget? Mas matakot si kumander pag ako na pumili ng construction materials...

Andersen or Pella Windows palang taob na bangka! Hehe
Violaine

Next

Return to Construction