Compressed air piping.

Compressed air piping.

Unread post #1 by bigfoot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:08 am

We have set up a factory using pneumatic machines, now I need to properly set up the air lines.

Only 1 machines is attached to the 3hp Vespa for now, and maybe a 2nd machine later on for backup only or occasional work overflow. It is presently connected using a 3/8" rubber hose. Compressor to machine distance will be approx 25 feet after the compressor is moved outdoors , at present compressor is 15 feet away inside the same room.

Need piping suggestions, because at present I am having a LOT of water in the airlines. Anybody familiar with refrigerant dryer, I think this is only good for water vapor, but not in liquid form.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Compressed air piping.

Unread post #2 by joey81 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:28 pm

You need an air-water separator filter. Baka meron pa si Jay.

Amontons' Law of Pressure-Temperature states:
"The pressure of a gas of fixed mass and fixed volume is directly proportional to the gas's absolute temperature."

Meaning the lower the pressure, the lower the temperature. And the lower the air temperature, more water vapor condenses into its liquid form.

Obviously, in a compressed air system pressure is lowest nearest to the air tool. So for maximum effectivity the air-water separator should be placed in the air line as far away from the tank as possible. This will give water vapor more time to condense into liquid form. The air that goes into the tool will contain less vapor.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #3 by JayL » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Try installing the compressor a bit further then use BI pipe before installing the water separator. The idea is to cool down the compressed air a bit to make the water separator more effective.

If you can't move compressor further then use the " bituka " method to gain pipe length before installing the filter.

Here's a good sample setup.

https://www.tptools.com/tech-metal-piping.dlp

https://cached.tptools.com/Images/airli ... iagram.pdf
Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS
JayL
Moderators
Moderators

Unread post #4 by bigfoot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Will tne i inside of tbe BI pipe not prone to rust? Can run the piping system outdoors and just paint it to pre ent rust?
What size of bituka system will I need? I think 1/2" should be good for my system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #5 by ernieserrano » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Ang smart yan ah
Random avatar
ernieserrano

Unread post #6 by timber715 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Jun, I strongly recommend using non metal air lines. I do not have the links for a shop designed one, thought I still remember how to set one up. Remind me when we meet and I will discuss it to you in detail.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #7 by bigfoot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:55 pm

Using non-metal airlines is ideal to avoid corrosion. The idea of using metal airlines is to cool down the air and minimize moisture.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #8 by timber715 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:12 pm

bigfoot wrote:Using non-metal airlines is ideal to avoid corrosion. The idea of using metal airlines is to cool down the air and minimize moisture.

The air line is installed in a loop to keep the pressure maintained at all drops. Each drop line should have a moisture filter and should collect most of the liquid.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #9 by bigfoot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:39 pm

The loop is good to keep consistent pressure, especially on multistation workplace. In may case, only 1 unit is connected to the compressor. I am draining at least 250ml of water from the separator per day as of now. Moisture is passing thru the separator as of now.

I need to cool down the compressed air to reduce moisture.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #10 by moji » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 am

Some people use copper pipes for air piping. Quite expensive but if you have the budget then its a suitable option.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten.” Benjamin Franklin
Random avatar
moji
Moderators
Moderators

Next

Return to MetalWorking