Unread post #1 by timber715 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:22 am

timber715
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Post your workbench here

Unread post #2 by ogisugatan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:20 am

I love the dovetail, SIr. :-) What wood did you use for this one?
"wala sa pana 'yan; asa Indian."
ogisugatan
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #3 by timber715 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:49 am

our local hardwood... tanguille
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #4 by bigfoot » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:27 am

Speaking of workbench, I still have to flatten mine.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #5 by woodworkboy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:09 am

timber715 wrote:our local hardwood... tanguille

nice workbench, Sir! how much does it cost to build one? :thumbup:
woodworkboy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #6 by timber715 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 am

woodworkboy wrote:
timber715 wrote:our local hardwood... tanguille

nice workbench, Sir! how much does it cost to build one? :thumbup:

about 12k in wood and about 8k in hardware....
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #7 by JayL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:15 pm

I am drooling to have a work bench like this. If next year is good then I'll probably build one.

All the while I thought there were drawers under the table.
Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS
JayL
Moderators
Moderators

Unread post #8 by timber715 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:08 pm

JayL wrote:I am drooling to have a work bench like this. If next year is good then I'll probably build one.

All the while I thought there were drawers under the table.

Meron yan cabinets Jay... Di lang updated kasi.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #9 by balarila » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 pm

I’m reposting my workbench WIP which I originally posted in another site. Hope it’s useful for some of us here.

The time invested in building a workbench pays back in multiples on the time one saves in woodworking because one can work more comfortably (in less awkward positions), grip the material more securely, and, overall, provide a more efficient and ergonomic workplace.

What the hell. I just wanted to build me a workbench so I had to justify pausing my boatbuilding for it.

Got some cheap-but-still-damp mahogany. Willy helped me dry them in his kiln. After many hours of ripping, squaring, and glueing:

That's the feet, legs, spacers, and stretchers.

The stretchers' tenons will be bolted onto the legs' mortises. The bolt will be inserted into the legs, out through the mortise, the inserted into the grooves inside the stretchers where nuts were inserted from the bottom with this contraption:

I notched some pegs, rammed nuts into the notches, then put some thickened epoxy resin to glue them and prevent any twist.

The top will be laminated from 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 planks of mahogany. The first 4 planks are awaiting glue-drying in the first photo. The rest are:

Finished laminating the planks for the top. There were 13 planks. I did the gluing in 4 batches: 3,3,3, and 4 so that I can still run each glued batch into the thicknesser. Then, glued all four and used pipe clamps.

After clamping, waiting for the glue to dry, I realized I forgot to make a caul. Too lazy, too tired, too late. I decided not to. The planks seemed aligned anyway. This morning, found the planks shifted a bit so I'll have to plane about half a mm. Lesson: Always use cauls.

Every boatbuilder has a "moaning chair" where one sits at the end of the day and moans about all the stupid mistakes one made working on a boat (while secretly admiring it).

I found myself on my moaning chair after about an hour working at dawn today before heading out of town (so no woodworking all weekend:hang:).

Managed to adjust the tenons, drills some holes, and dry fit the legs to the stretchers, then plop the laminated top on it:

The top is not yet evened out.* Some more planing and sanding. I still have to make the front and back aprons then install the vises.* There should be a shelf resting on the stretchers but that can come later.

The keys (peg with nuts) also worked out fine.

The plan calls for the keys to go through from top to bottom of stretcher but I decided to hide it; inserted only frmo the bottom.* Will trim the extra later.

Now here's the moan:

What's wrong with the photo (aside from the obvious uneven surface (can be corrected) and gap (can be epoxy-puttied)?

The dogholes!

That row of dogholes on the right should be one plank to the left!* Aaaaargh!

Now, functionally, it should still work.* But, asthetically, it will be a blemish staring me in the face.
Forever.

But, that's what it simply is: a blemish.* The workbench will not be any less sturdy nor less useful for it.* And, after all, it's a workbench.* Not a work of art.* Though it may accidentally be.* I think I'll stay with it and make it as an eternal reminder for me to be careful and check and check and check.

What do you think?* Live with it or rip it out and make a new plank and relaminate?

Got the screws and bolts.

Then tried to figure out how to install the vises. The tail vise has me stumped. So I contemplate by planing the top. An aha moment! So I set to work on the sliding block for the tail vise:

The plank on the left is where the non-business-end of the tail vise screw will rest in (through the hole). The clamped assembly (waiting for glue to dry) will be the sliding block. This block has a hole where the vise's screw will be threaded through.

Hope it works!

Holiday today. SWMBO demanded a date so couldn't work on the workbench all day.

Cut and glued the front vise's spacer onto the front apron.

Tomorrow, when the glue dries, will install the front vise, then sandwich it with another front apron plank.

Also managed to cut and plane some of the planks for the lower shelf.

Then, my thicknesser, went up in smoke...literally. I'm still too scared to open it up. Tried jogging it again and it still moved but still smoked.

Got to work a bit this morning on the workbench. Had to trim down the spacer for the vise. This is how it looks:

Glue is messy, will have to clean that up, pag sinipag.

Then routered the frontmost plank of the apron so that the rear jaw of the vise will sink into it. That plank is the one on top with lots of router mistakes. Should be ok. Hindi naman kita:p

Had to wrap the rear jaw with cellophane tape because I will be epoxying the front plank into the the inside plank and I don't want any epoxy getting into the vise's jaw, otherwise, there's no way I can remove that vise in the future if epoxy gets into the metal.

Here it is all glued and clamped:

Tomorrow, will trim the ends then put the end caps. That'll be a bit tricky. To allow for expansion of the laminated wood, the caps will be have splines and grooves, glued on one end, and slot-screwed on the other. Doing it this way because I don't have Timber's talent at making a dovetail joint.

Didn't have any time yesterday so just spent a few hours after work today.

This is where the tailvise will go.

Set that aside for now. Worked on the end near the front vise.

Routered the edge straight. Planed the rest off (Wish I had a 4-inch straight bit!). Then routered the end cap and the end of the laminated slab with a slot-cutter bit to make grooves into which the spline will be inserted. The spline is that 1/2"x1" stick in the middle.

Sometimes, things just work out. Made that spline by running a plank on the TS and it came out tight on the grooves on first try. I must be getting better or luckier.

Here it is all clamped up. Will trim that later.

The front part only is glued (with epoxy). The middle to rear is just jointed without glue. That hole near the rear is for a lag bolt that will be inserted where the hole in the endcap will be a little loose. The idea is to allow for expansion of the laminated plank which will expand crosswise.

I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #10 by ogisugatan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 am

*subscribed.

Great builds! :)
"wala sa pana 'yan; asa Indian."
ogisugatan
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Next

Return to Woodworking