Humidor

Re: Humidor

Unread post #31 by timber715 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Waiting for it to pop up when you start applting the finish.... Looking good so far.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #32 by balarila » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:09 am

Glued and sanded. So far so good.

I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #33 by timber715 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:46 pm

balarila wrote:Glued and sanded. So far so good.

Medyo nakakadistract yung light portion ng kamagong sa box brader. If you can still trim it a bit it will look so much nicer. Though it is already a work of art....
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #34 by balarila » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Not sure exactly what "light portion" you meant Sonny, pero hindi pa tapos ang sanding nya'n. I'm also using two kinds of Timbermate (mahogany and ebony) so I apply to both light and dark.

I wanted to bevel sana the top edge all around to camouflage the joint. Pero I'm scared of impelling the router on it. Baka mag-burst. From experience, cross-grain routing on kamagong can be disastrous. Will sharpen my plane and see if that will work. Otherwise, tiyagaan sa sanding.
balarila

Unread post #35 by willyfernando » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Maganda rin siguro kung rounded edges ano Ding? Just set your router speed to the highest and try to use Dual/double sided carbide bits for extremely configured grain and dense wood. Feed pass should be gentle and shallow till you get to the right depth kung ayaw mo ng biglaan. I'd use a trimmer router for this task. Good luck!
Random avatar
willyfernando
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #36 by balarila » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Excellent suggestions, Willy.

I'll probably test on some scrap kamagong first. Nakakatakot talaga kasi. Kamagong is the most blowout-prone wood I ever worked with. Kung hindi lang talaga maganda ang grain,I'd never use it.
balarila

Unread post #37 by balarila » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:45 am

Followed Willy's advice and routed the edges with a rounding bit on my Bosch palm router.

Pre-finished the box first with epoxy then water-based poly. Used those as some sort of sanding sealer. Then, did routing in three passes, high rotational speed, cutting away small portions at a time to make sure I don't have any blowout. That router base Jay sold me worked great! Took routing with my palm router (also from Jay) to whole new level. Palm router is stable and the see-through base makes material visible. Now, if only there were an LED light at the bottom...

To personalize the box, I connived with my boss' assistant and got his signature with a fat tipped marker. Pasted this signature on a corner of the box top.

Had to blur the signature in the photo for security purposes; but you get the idea.

Proceeded to route the signature with a narrow bit then painted the carved signature’s bottom with some gold paint using a very thin brush. Made a makeshift well around it using sticks and cellophane tape then poured epoxy resin into it.

The idea is, when the epoxy dries, I’ll shave off the excess epoxy, then finish the whole box with water-based gloss polyurethane. The signature will then appear embossed in gold.

Crossing my fingers for now. If this turns out ugly, very little room to re-do.
balarila

Unread post #38 by ernieserrano » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 am

id like to see this art work when its done,. ding use your prof cam pag tapos na para more details shown please. what a fantastic piece. your hands are really for the masters. iba pa din talaga yung kamay mo mismo ang gumawa. thats something to brag about and high heavens to be proud. by strict definition, iba ang "GAWA KO TO"
Random avatar
ernieserrano

Unread post #39 by balarila » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:40 pm

As in many projects, nakatamaran because the urgency was lost: my boss decided not to retire yet and extend a few years.

Then, he surprised me one day and announced he's retiring. So I need to finish this box soon.

This is the most terrifying cut in my life: slicing open the box

After some harrowing minutes, the cut turned our to be ok. Prior to the cut, BTW, I made a lot of preparations: marking the cut on the box, then tuning my bandsaw, making sure everything's perfectly square.

Got my old stash of spanish cedar for the linings.

Unfortunately, because I didn't store those cedars very well, they twisted a bit. Fortunately, the cuts are small so I had to be creative cutting them. Then, some sanding and some epoxy putty to fill in some gaps on the box cover because the wood dried a bit. That's the problem with the top design: prone to movement. Since the box has been in my shop for a few years now, I hope it won't move anymore.

Spanish cedar's a joy to cut and sand. The aroma is so fresh.
balarila

Unread post #40 by Ricky » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Sir Ding, maraming maraming salamat sa assistance mo. Action man ka talaga! Swerte kami at swerte mwc syo :clap:
Ricky

PreviousNext

Return to Woodworking