Humidor

Re: Humidor

Unread post #11 by Violaine » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:37 am

@joey,

the lock miter bit when set up is always showing 100 percent of its carbides...i guess, the only way to do it in multiple passes is by using 1/4" ply shims attched to the router fence using a double sided tape...better if 1/8" coz 1/4" thick bite on knotted, hard wood such philippin ebony/kamagong will take its toll on the carbide so heavily.

my only concern using shims is when the shims arent flat perfect leaving room for gaps in the joint.

i guess, i will use the lock miter bit on soft woods..well soft woods are the ones intended for drawer carcases in the first place.

lalo na kung Freud pa! yay!

V
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #12 by joey81 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 am

@V

Yes, you can't move the lock miter bit up/down once you've set it up. The approach I'm more inclined to employ is by moving the fence. After you've setup the fence for full dept of cut, securely clamp a couple of stop blocks behind it. Then move the fence forward such that the bit will cut only an eight of an inch (or some appropriate depth for your type of wood). Make successive cuts, each time moving the fence back just a bit, until you hit the stop block.

Asan na ba yung lock-miter bit ko? Kinakalawang na yata, di ko pa nagagamit. :lolno:
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #13 by balarila » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:18 am

That's how I did it, actually. Set the bit height once then crept 1/8" each pass by adjusting the fence. I wasted a lot of palo china (cut to the same thickness as the actual material) for test runs. I then marked with a pencil on the router table where the perfect setting for the fence should be, then moved up the fence for the actual material to creep-route into final depth.

Even at 1/8" per pass, the knotty kamagong flew away. Well. the mahogany had its own share of curlies.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #14 by ernieserrano » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Shoulnt it me of cedar wood so as to contain/control moisture?
Random avatar
ernieserrano

Unread post #15 by timber715 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:08 pm

balarila wrote:That's how I did it, actually. Set the bit height once then crept 1/8" each pass by adjusting the fence. I wasted a lot of palo china (cut to the same thickness as the actual material) for test runs. I then marked with a pencil on the router table where the perfect setting for the fence should be, then moved up the fence for the actual material to creep-route into final depth.

Even at 1/8" per pass, the knotty kamagong flew away. Well. the mahogany had its own share of curlies.

Here is where a hold down jig will shine...
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #16 by balarila » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 am

ernieserrano wrote:Shoulnt it me of cedar wood so as to contain/control moisture?

Absolutely right, Ernie. I have some Spanish Cedar for the lining. So it will be like a box in a box.
balarila

Unread post #17 by Armand » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:42 am

Ang galing, very nice project. Keep it coming Ding.
Armand
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #18 by ernieserrano » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 pm

There you go, i didnt want to say spanish cedar kasi cedar palang hirap na maghanap, then specify pa na spanish.. Hahahah, but hey, where did you find spanish cedar
Random avatar
ernieserrano

Unread post #19 by balarila » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:33 am

ernieserrano wrote:There you go, i didnt want to say spanish cedar kasi cedar palang hirap na maghanap, then specify pa na spanish.. Hahahah, but hey, where did you find spanish cedar

Good old Rockler thru Amazon, Ernie.

I ordered some long items a long while back so sinabay ko yung dalawang planks ng spanish cedar.
balarila

Unread post #20 by balarila » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Question: Does anybody know where I can buy some leather? Preferable the baseball glove leather kind: full-grain, thick, natural brown color.

I plan to stick leather at the underside of my cigar box to add some luxurious feel to it as well as making it non-slip and "cushiony".
balarila

PreviousNext

Return to Woodworking