neilman
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: advise on purchasing my first power tools

Unread post #12 by hazard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Marami pong salamat sa mga suggestions nyo..I really appreciate it :thumbup:

Armand wrote:You want to build a house for your family and you want to make SIMPLE furnitures..parang mahirap ipaglapit ang dalawang planong ito.

Sorry kung medyo nalito ko po kayo..I mean my first goal is to build a house then make diy furniture projects later on..I will use the said tools for the jobs na makakaya kung gawin mag isa..hindi ko po naisip na CS is a must for the application..I thought that would be an optional tool since a hand saw may do the job for straight cuts (not considering the speed a CS may offer)..

bigfoot wrote:Are you making solid wood doors? Better to be more specific on the things/projects you want to achieve so we can advise you better. Are you working with plywood, or solid wood? Rough or S4S?

Maybe both.. I have stocks of molave wood na bigay ni erpats..maybe I could use it to build window and door jamb etc..can light duty tools last on such hardwoods?

Violaine wrote:building a house? simple furniture?
.....please forget the jigsaw...for the circular saw purchase!

Cguro kelangan ko pa lakihan ang budget para dyan..BTW ok po ba yung mga surplus power tools (ozito/ryobi) na nabibili online?
Random avatar
hazard
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Re: advise on purchasing my first power tools

Unread post #13 by bigfoot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Sometimes the price difference is not that much, especially drills/circular saws/routers. Maybe 2-3k per item, it may sound much for now, especially for newbies, pero not worth the investment for serious use. Some members started with those also, but later upgraded to the branded ones, which means additional expenses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most sought after Ryobi item is the thicknesser, since there is a big price diff wth the branded ones, and the performance is good.

Unless you have experience, handsawing straight is not easy also. My jigsaw is one of my least used tool, only for rough cuts and occasional curve cuts.

For budget brands, go for Skil or Maktec, we are even skipping BD already. Bosch and Makita are our usual go to, especially with local availability of spare parts.

Doors and windows, but you still need to be more specific on the design, some design will require the use of routers.

I started with a CS, and a small router, a few handtools in making my first bed, and progressed from there.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Previous

Return to Woodworking