sketchup

Re: sketchup

Unread post #11 by bigfoot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:41 am

Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #12 by joey81 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:50 am

Problem with Optimalon is you can't use it without internet connection.

So I searched for another free option. Found this.

http://www.maxcutsoftware.com/

The free community edition has enough features to suite my needs. I use SketchUp's CutList extension to export the parts to a CSV file.
Maxcut can read that CSV file but you have to select which column is which.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #13 by avmanansala » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:10 am

Just addition to this thread.

Why you don't straight to fusion 360?. since most of you guys will have a CNC in the future. fusion360 has it's on CAM software this is needed for the CNC to generate the GCode.

I love sketchup until now and still using for all my work save a lot of time and materials but I'm migrating to fusion360.. Jay Bates has a lot of good sketchup tutorials for woodworkers and it's very straighforward.

Fusion is free also for small shops and student. Cant compare sketchup and fusion360. Sketchup easy to learn it just push and pull but very limited. fusion360 is too broad and you will be overwhelm ending up quitting if wlang tsaga. If you have experience in autocad it will be easy for you compare to zero autocad/cad knowledge.

plugins sucks most of the times.. why use native CAM features like what fusion has? Autodesk is very aggressive now they are publishing a lot of contents for tutorials. they have a lot of new tutorials compare to sketchup. Sketchup gain a lot of audience before because it's free/cheap before google acquired it.

Remember. Autodesk is a cad/design company offering diffent kind of software all designs related. for more than a decade... Subscribe to their channels now. (NOT SPONSORED) hehehe
Once you know the password you can go anywhere. Log In. Log Out. Leg It! Password Accepted.
avmanansala

Unread post #14 by balarila » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:45 am

Never found the time to learn sketchup and have been making do with powerpoint (yes, that's really weird).

So I am now hunkering down every reading/computer time I get to learn it. Using this book to guide me:

I highly recommend this book. I'm about a third of the way into it and find it an easy and engaging read and effective for learning. The first exercise, a bedside table, is taking me on a journey to understand the data structures (groups, components, entities, layers), as well as various tools. Along the way, the author also cites many pitfalls that many newbies encounter. But, best of all, it is tailored for woodworkers.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #15 by joey81 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:15 am

That is money well-spent. Soon your mind will be freed from having to visualize how the 2D power-point drawings fit together in 3D space.

And then you'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier. :lolno:
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Previous

Return to Lounge