New member - homeowner

Hello and welcome to the "Cab"
Please introduce your self properly and enjoy the site.
Forum rules
Please introduce your self properly.Tell us your age, location, work and hobbies.We would like to know you as a person and not as a username, its a small community so we've like to know you better. After posting your introduction the site will open for you and you will able to use the full features of the site.

New member - homeowner

Unread post #1 by bugnayroad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello, I'm a new home owner building my retirement home in Negros with a contractor. I'm using a lot of reclaimed wood on the doors and floors. I'm looking for tips on keeping the wood looking "old and antique" since there are a lot of dents and holes and so on. I like the organic look, want low maintenance and don't want gloss. They've been sanded, stained, and sealed - now ready for a protective top coat. I need advice on the protective finish - which to use -
1. linseed oil thinned with kerosene(?) and buffed with wax every couple of months or years?
2. oil-based polyurethane satin finish - hard to find in Bacolod and will need to order from Manila: Konig or Zar?

Pros and cons, especially on maintenance, reapplying the finishes and old wood look would be much appreciated!
Random avatar
bugnayroad
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New member - homeowner

Unread post #2 by bugnayroad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Forgot my age: 62, work: retired, hobbies: arts and crafts. Dream house being built - bungalow, environemntally berde, and 185 sqm.
Random avatar
bugnayroad
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #3 by timber715 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 pm

Welcome to the cab bugnayroad, on doors that meet the elements I would suggest using Spar Urethane (can be bought in ACE hardware) and for interior pieces Satin poly would suffice (I also suggest ACE for ease to access) or if you can find Deft water bourne poly thet would even be easier and better in lot of ways.
Enjoy the site and the people on it...
cheers
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #4 by balarila » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Sonny (Timber715) already gave some good advice. I also use epoxy resin when waterproofing, then topped off with polyurethane.

Where did you get your linseed oil? That has become rare locally.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #5 by timber715 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 pm

balarila wrote:Sonny (Timber715) already gave some good advice. I also use epoxy resin when waterproofing, then topped off with polyurethane.

Ding, linseed oil alone is not so hard to source locally since arts crafts use them. National bookstore carries them in small amounts but with big prices. BLO is the one that is hard to source. I still have some if you need small amount only.
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #6 by balarila » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:23 pm

timber715 wrote:
balarila wrote:Sonny (Timber715) already gave some good advice. I also use epoxy resin when waterproofing, then topped off with polyurethane.

Ding, linseed oil alone is not so hard to source locally since arts crafts use them. National bookstore carries them in small amounts but with big prices. BLO is the one that is hard to source. I still have some if you need small amount only.

Thanks, Sonny. Not really a pressing need. Just wondered if he has a source. Yes, linseed oil is very expensive at National as oil painters use them.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Return to Members Introduction