question regarding ampere

question regarding ampere

Unread post #1 by Tim » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 am

hi i was dumbfounded earlier when a guy inquiring for dremel rotary tool was very concerned with the ampere and hertz of the said hand tool. any gurus here why is this such a big concern?
Random avatar
Tim
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: question regarding ampere

Unread post #2 by bigfoot » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:07 am

No issue should be with ampere. As for hertz, some power tools are imports so it may not be compatible with our 60hz line, maybe that is their concern. However, some tools rated as 50hz, can still work well with our 60hz line. Best to consult with manufacturer/distro about this.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #3 by timber715 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 am

The main concern with motors rated at 50htz kasi will run faster at 60htz, thus adds more load than it is designed for. An overloaded motor of course will wear faster or die prematurely.... But it would work. :wtf: :think: :eh:

Maybe Ariel can shed some light on the matter since electricity is in his area of expertise....
timber715
Admin
Admin

Unread post #4 by balarila » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am

Simplistically, an imported poewr tool with a motor rated at 50Hz wil run 20% faster than its rated rotational speed. Of course, I am assuming there aree no other fncy electroonics in the tool that uses electric frequency as a basis (e.g. timers). I have a cheap Ryobi orbital rated at 50Hz. I never run it at full speed to preserve motor life.

On Amperes, the unit of Current (how fast electricity flows), this number may have relevance on the fuse or circuit breaker you will connect the tool into. In small tools, this is not an issue; all small power tools I know operate at a current lower than the circuit breaker of my shop.

Amperage (which is a fctor of power) is important if you will have a transformer, too. If you have a 110V tool rated at, say, 10A, then, roughly (not exactly), it will consume 1.11kW of power (voltage times current). You should get about a 2kW (or higher) stepdown transformer for this tool. The extra power rating on the transformer is for "headroom" or margin of safety as well as some room for start-up current (which could be pretty high when you start up the tool.

Hope this helpps.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #5 by imcnovicio » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:10 am

It is better to have tried and fail rather than having not tried at all and play it safe. Keep on trying never give up.

“Give me ten thousand Filipino soldiers and I will conquer the world.”
― Douglas MacArthur
imcnovicio
Public Servants
Public Servants

Unread post #6 by ynos » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 am

The amperage would determine the ampere rating of the socket - if the tool will work on the conventional 15-20amps power outlet or if it will need higher like 30amps outlet or more.

Amperage is also used to determine the gauge of wire needed, i.e. for extension cords. The higher the ampere rating the bigger the wires. Say, for 30amps normally awg#10 are used, 20amps - awg#12-14, 15amp awg#16 and so on... This is to avoid over-heating the wires which normally cause fire.

Hope this helps.

Everything is a fine diamond in the hands of a skillful man; everything becomes polished glass in the hands of a fool.

- Jean de la Fontaine ,a€“ 17th century French Poet
ynos
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #7 by Tim » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:38 pm

thanks guys :)
Random avatar
Tim
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #8 by willyfernando » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Tim wrote:hi i was dumbfounded earlier when a guy inquiring for dremel rotary tool was very concerned with the ampere and hertz of the said hand tool. any gurus here why is this such a big concern?

If I may add, Amperage is also a gauge of motor strength. Power tool capacity is usually expressed in Watts and Amperage. You may encounter variable info regarding Wattage expressed in several forms, the rated input power and the output power. Tool techies look into the Amperage to gauge the power threshold of the motor. Hope this helps.
Random avatar
willyfernando
Jr Member
Jr Member

Unread post #9 by Violaine » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:31 am

and what about horsepower?
is it just the equivalent 800++ watts or is there something else?

maybe three decades ago, someone proposed that we use the metric system but hey, tool manufacturers and users cant simply follow suit. i for one. so i threw my metric japanese tape measure swak into the garbage.
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #10 by JayL » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Violaine wrote:and what about horsepower?
is it just the equivalent 800++ watts or is there something else?

maybe three decades ago, someone proposed that we use the metric system but hey, tool manufacturers and users cant simply follow suit. i for one. so i threw my metric japanese tape measure swak into the garbage.

LOL
Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS