Ozito PRG-632VK plunge router. Is it any good?

Ozito PRG-632VK plunge router. Is it any good?

Unread post #1 by hazard » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:21 am

Hi there,

I am a complete noob in woodworking and I am now in a process of collecting power tools for my future builds. Somebody offered me a slightly used Ozito plunge router for a very cheap price. I couldn't test it because the location of the seller is on the other side of the province and it would take half a day to make a trip to get there just to test the unit. I can say he's a legit seller (an australian who lives with his wife here and will be moving back to Australia soon and his selling all his stuff that he couldn't bring back to Oz.) I am financially broke so I prefer buying cheap/second hand power tools rather than those brand new/branded ones. I wonder if we have fellows here who had experienced using those brand of router and can tell how well it worked. Or do you have any opinion with this topic.

Thanks,
Hazard
Random avatar
hazard
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ozito PRG-632VK plunge router. Is it any good?

Unread post #2 by bigfoot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:26 am

I think we have some members who started with Ryobi/Ozito but eventually moved up to Skil, Makita and Bosch.

Maybe the locally available Skil plunge router would be a better investment.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #3 by hazard » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:03 pm

That's what I'm thinking too but considering the budget, it's a no for now. I would like to grab the opportunity of having a plunge router and learn from it. Cheap tools muna to learn from and then upgrade ng paunti unti when I already have the skills. Sa ngayon bihira ko pa magagamit mga power tools kasi nasa proseso pa ako ng pagkokolekta ng mga tools para sa future house build ko. I already had a power drill, jigsaw, planer, this time plunge router naman sana.
Random avatar
hazard
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #4 by joey81 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:20 pm

A router isn't a consumable that will get used up while you are building your skills.

I don't see any advantage of using a the Ozito for learning. In fact I think its a disadvantage. The router might have a defect (for example, sloppy depth adjustment) which could result in poor results, and you might blame it on the skills of a beginner.

My suggestion is read/watch tutorials while saving up for a decent quality router. Youtube and www.routerforums.com are excellent sources.
Rotir Tools * Bosch * Dremel * Hitachi * Dewalt * Freud * Harbor Freight * Woodpecker * Incra * Skil * Whiteside * CMT * Grizzly
joey81

Unread post #5 by bigfoot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

How much is the Ozito selling for anyway? The Skil is around 5k or less I think.
Your cutting tools is only as good as your sharpening system.
bigfoot
Admin
Admin

Unread post #6 by balarila » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 pm

I wouldn't recommend it.

I have owned various Ryobi's and some Ozitos. Many have died since, some still running OK. Today, I still use a 6-inch Ryobi random orbital sander and an Ozito belt sander.

I found that the cheap Australian surplus tools are good for non-precision work such as sanding or rough cutting.

A router should be accurate to be useful, IMHO.

Why not look at the cheaper-but-still-good brands? Skill and Maktec should be good. I've used both and found them good value.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #7 by Violaine » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:16 pm

i have nothing against Ozito or Ryobis, but routers are exceptional machines spinning some dense metal between 10,000 to 20,000 rpm.

id be happy with an Ozito ripping saw or Ryobi chisels (which of course they dont have) and take the learning curve of woodworking there...but not something from their line that i need to put some electrical energy.

cheap money is still money to be lost..life isnt cheap at all....

or a limb, or an eye or your pride.

you said you still dont need it so please delay the purchase and put your hard earned money on this very versatile tool and that is the router.
I think i was a woodworker in my previous life...and the life previous to that.
Violaine

Unread post #8 by hazard » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:53 pm

joey81 wrote:A router isn't a consumable that will get used up while you are building your skills.

I don't see any advantage of using a the Ozito for learning. In fact I think its a disadvantage. The router might have a defect (for example, sloppy depth adjustment) which could result in poor results, and you might blame it on the skills of a beginner.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I think we have someone here who can further make it clear why or why I shouldn't grab the deal, maybe from someone who had experience using similar models.

bigfoot wrote:How much is the Ozito selling for anyway? The Skil is around 5k or less I think.

Presyong makamasa lang for only 1,200php w/ case and complete accessories.

balarila wrote:I wouldn't recommend it.
I have owned various Ryobi's and some Ozitos. Many have died since, some still running OK. Today, I still use a 6-inch Ryobi random orbital sander and an Ozito belt sander.
I found that the cheap Australian surplus tools are good for non-precision work such as sanding or rough cutting.
A router should be accurate to be useful, IMHO.
Why not look at the cheaper-but-still-good brands? Skill and Maktec should be good. I've used both and found them good value.

I was thinking of the cheaper priced Skill router but its way out of my budget right now. Somehow I couldn't resist the price of 1200php he's offering. One thing I'm considering is that I will just use it for light use (DIY) like my other tools so durability is not a big consideration for me. Regarding accuracy, well that's one thing I'm not certain since I never experienced using router.
Violaine wrote:cheap money is still money to be lost..life isnt cheap at all....
or a limb, or an eye or your pride.
you said you still dont need it so please delay the purchase and put your hard earned money on this very versatile tool and that is the router.

Thanks @violaine. Ofcourse safety is the first to consider whenever I buy tools. On the other hand finding a good quality router comes with a fairly high pricetag. I guess I have to change my mind.
Random avatar
hazard
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #9 by balarila » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Here's a review of an older(lower?) model PRG-631VK.
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ozito ... 631vk.html

I hope they have corrected the safety issue mentioned in the model you are considering.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #10 by hazard » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:11 pm

balarila wrote:Here's a review of an older(lower?) model PRG-631VK.
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ozito ... 631vk.html

I hope they have corrected the safety issue mentioned in the model you are considering.

Thanks for reminding me. I already read it before consulting here in this forum. I assume 632VK is the later version. I'll ask the seller regarding this issue BTW.
Random avatar
hazard
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Next

Return to Power Tools