Ideal compressor size for brad nailer and spray gun

Re: Ideal compressor size for brad nailer and spray gun

Unread post #11 by Ricky » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:26 pm

Tempted to buy the michellin small compressor, i know it will work on my brad nailers pero i also use pneumatic riveter and concrete nailer that has big air volume capacity(pressure
Same lang ng brad nailer pero volume is around 5times bigger)

Tested my eurostar 2hp 20li tank???? And sa brad nailer around 30shots , sa riveter 10rivets lang hahaha so kung maliit ang tank always on yun compressor which i think parusa sa motor???
Ricky

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Unread post #12 by harmonpa » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:42 am

In general for a full sized HVLP Spray Gun you will need a minimum of 12 CFM (which is different than psi) thought the recommended amount is 20 CFM (or a 5 hp two stage compressor). Large tanks can help slightly but eventually you will start running out of compressed air and the gun will sputter. If you have other tools I would check out this article on CFM usage . For an overview of HVLP and conventional air caps check this out. Good luck with your project!
Random avatar
harmonpa
Newly Registered Member
Newly Registered Member

Unread post #13 by kennykamay » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:23 am

I saw this at Goldpeak's website, Vespa 2HP Direct Couple Air Compressor priced at P4,800.

Specifications:

Model: 2021 (model number may vary)
Motor: 2 hp
Displacement: 3.7 cfm
Tank Capacity: 25 liters

Is this sufficient for brad nailers? and for spray painting small projects?
Random avatar
kennykamay
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #14 by Ricky » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:26 am

Yes more than sufficient.

I am still looking at a smaller and quieter compressor. I saw at olx 1.5hp 9li tank pero almost 3x the price. Need to hear if its really quiet. (For overtime works)
Ricky

Unread post #15 by balarila » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:07 am

I have a 2HP Vespa compressor and never ran out of air when nailing. Of course, I am not a (house) frame nailer but I have done a fair bit of brad nailing on some sound absorption frames as well as nailing drawer boxes when gluing (instead of clamping).

For spray painting, my 2HP is just right for small to medium projects. I was able to spray polyurethane on a desktop of about 2 sq meters but had to wait for the tank to refill before the 2nd pass. Not an issue since one would normally let the paint dry suitably before the 2nd coat.

Of course, a 5HP with a large tank would be fantastic.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.
balarila

Unread post #16 by kennykamay » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for the inputs @Ricky and @balarila! I'll probably schedule a trip going there to check out the unit.
Random avatar
kennykamay
Registered Member
Registered Member

Unread post #17 by Bernard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Direct drives are inherently low cfm compared to belt drives. The mechanism and the tank capacity limits the output. That is why a 2HP belt would generally give you around 10 cfm and the direct counterpart would give just half of that. My 3HP Hitachi does around 17 cfm and sometimes I feel let down by it when I'm really in the "zone".
Before settling on a particular compressor, you may need to make a decision on your requirements. While a nailer doesn't really need huge cfm to work, a small volume compressor may not give you the flexibility down the line, like painting or, well, in my case carving using pneumatic hammer and polishing.
But I'd say for most DIYs, the 2HP belt should serve you well, if budget permits.
Do not lean on the assumption that buying the best short circuits the learning curve --- P. Sellers (a paraphrase)
Random avatar
Bernard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Power Tools